Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Subscribed Threads in Notifications

Your new subscribed threads will now appear in the notifications area for convenient access!

I wrote this feature as a vBulletin modification, and will be releasing it over at vBulletin.org shortly.

Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice work!
09-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

My "notification" tab is stuck on "20". I click on the tab but it still says I have 20 new notifications.

Is there a way for me to switch the notifications off for new subscribed threads? Too many notifications for me.
09-14-2010, 05:23 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
At me moment, not directly- but you could just click on the mark forums read link! (Or get readin)

09-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've come up with a better solution- you can use the 'clear notifications' link to reset the notification counter, instead of reading the thread. This is found on your subscribed threads page.
Attached Images

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Worked. thank you.

So if I have 2 notifications, those notifications will go away when I click and read the new post?
09-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Each notification goes away as you read the thread, correct.

There's just one small catch: the notifications count is cached for 5 minutes at a time. Therefore, it might take a little while for the notifications to go away. If you want to update the counter immediately, just go ti https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/subscription.php

Adam

09-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Is there a way to get the notifications to stop sending me emails? I like being subscribed to thread, and the new notifications are great, but I've always hated getting the emails, and have never been able to find out how to disable it. Thanks!
09-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yes, but that's unrelated to this new feature. Please post that in a separate thread in the site help forum.

Adam

09-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I rarely am annoyed by a new feature. But.

Can this feature be disabled in Options - or can you add the choice?

I habitually check User Control Panel for new posts to my Subscribed threads. Threads needing attention sty highlighted until I view the new posts.

This new feature is not only redundant, as I use the Forum, it conflates a Notification for a new post (that I can read at leisure) with a Notification of a new PM (that I should read immediately) - and I do use the Pop-Up for PM's.
09-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I can add an option, yes, but I don't see how this would get in the way of anything - there are at least 10 types of notifications that can be shown, and PMs are the only ones that can trigger the popup If you have that on, you won't be fooled.

Adam

09-15-2010, 04:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I rarely am annoyed by a new feature. But.

Can this feature be disabled in Options - or can you add the choice?

I habitually check User Control Panel for new posts to my Subscribed threads. Threads needing attention sty highlighted until I view the new posts.

This new feature is not only redundant, as I use the Forum, it conflates a Notification for a new post (that I can read at leisure) with a Notification of a new PM (that I should read immediately) - and I do use the Pop-Up for PM's.
I fully agree. This is redundant and a distraction and I would love to disable the feature. There is getting to be so many bells and whistles on this site that it is becoming a chore to use.

Tim
09-15-2010, 05:38 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'll add the disable option later today.

The feature, whether you like it or not, can save you a lot of time with this, since you don't have to load a new page to know if your subscribed threads have been updated or not. There are lots of old standards in vb3, as we'd ideally like to bring everything up to speed using ajax, one-click approaches, and a simplified interface.
09-15-2010, 05:58 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Option added!

Adam

09-15-2010, 06:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I fully agree. This is redundant and a distraction and I would love to disable the feature. There is getting to be so many bells and whistles on this site that it is becoming a chore to use.

Tim
I also agree.

I'd rather not be "subscribed" to ANY threads.