Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New Pentax Forums design

Just to say the new site design is really sweet and professional looking. Right in time for the new Pentax announcements too.

Well done!

09-20-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks! There are still a few things that need ironing out, but we'll be getting right on top of them after the k5 news has come and gone.
09-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #3

The new design looks great! Very clean and pleasing to the eye. Well done.
09-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thanks! There are still a few things that need ironing out, but we'll be getting right on top of them after the k5 news has come and gone.
Oh yeah, I got to Quick Quote your txt just to tell you how much I like the new cosmetics. Really caught my eye. Not sure where you found time while handling 1,001 threads on the k-5 but thank you.

09-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree. The new logo at the top looks great!

So, where do we go for PentaxForums.com stickers?
09-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I specially like this small touch: "*Friendly* Pentax Discussion Community"
09-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah the new logo looks great!

09-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I like the new logo, but with that said, am I the only one who thinks the camera's shape makes it look more like an 'a' than an 'o'?

Every time I catch it in my peripheral vision, I see "Pentax Farums". ;-)

Last edited by knoxploration; 09-21-2010 at 06:31 AM.
09-21-2010, 05:19 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Wow, I never even thought of that!

Glad you guys like the new design, though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2010, 06:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Glad you guys like the new design, though!
Did you change the font or spacing with the bounding box? One way or another I find it more readable now.

BTW, I for one would like to express my gratitude for the "Notifications" tool. I've seen a lot of mystifying bitching about it but it suits me perfectly.

Also, I recently discovered the "quote this text" feature when you select text. Damn fine work, there.
09-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks! All the notifications stuff was my coding. All in all, there are now 3 nice, new pretty notification types

I hired a great designer for the homepage- all it took was 2 easy file changes thanks for my backend design.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
G.T
Veteran Member

Yeah, at first I noticed the logo. Nice job, without losing the essential. Good upgrade
09-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by G.T Quote
Yeah, at first I noticed the logo. Nice job, without losing the essential. Good upgrade
Thanks!

That's because the underlying structure that I wrote for the homepage separates styling elements from the PHP code, meaning that the same elements are still being displayed, but with a new style.

Good software design practices paid off!

Adam

09-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
G.T
Veteran Member

Thanks!

That's because the underlying structure that I wrote for the homepage separates styling elements from the PHP code, meaning that the same elements are still being displayed, but with a new style.
That's the interrest of CSS
What I was meaning is, although you renewed the general look, and in a more pleasant way, you didn't lose the efficience I like so much. You could, for example, have put a big camera pictured in the middle, with the reader having to scroll down a bit to read the most important news - which to me is total crap in this respect.

Good software design practices paid off!
C'mon... they ALWAYS pay back someday, even if it's easier at the first time to write some crappy code. Most of us (and so did I) have learnt this the hard way. Being slightly OT here, it doesn't seem to be a concern nowadays, with computing power everlasting increasing and the need for developpment costs to be cut down. And that's a shame.
09-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sad, but true, as nice as free-standing programming is. It started with the homepage just being a simple HTML file. Then we went to a PHP file with includes for the header and footer. And now I have a fancy class file, a database, and more

Adam