Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Original Poster indicator

Another forum I frequent has a nice feature I'd like to suggest. Any time the original poster replies to his/her own thread, the replies are marked "Original Poster" in bold text in the left side info box. The equivalent placement on PF would be under the bar with "Posts: ### | Rep: ###". I don't know that it needs to go into another offset-color bar like the other items in the left side. In fact, if it was just text it might make it stand out from the standard items better. The first post in a thread isn't marked, obviously, only replies from the OP.

It's useful for a variety of reasons. It's handy to be able to scroll through and quickly find if the OP has replied with additional information to troubleshoot a problem or needs more help. Sometimes when replying the OP ends up in parallel conversations with several other members. The topics may diverge and you only want to see if the OP replied to your post and not one of the tangents.

10-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can see how that would be useful in support or help forums, but sounds like it would just be exra clutter here. It's really easy to add if people want it, however.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, funny you should mention that. The other forum where I've seen it is a Linux support forum. And the subforum here where I tend to miss it is Beginner's Corner. May not be as useful in general conversation threads.
10-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup. I've visited that forum for C++ questions- and for those, the "original posted" flag helps, as people will reply to the person that needs help, rather than to each other.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: