Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

"Post too short"

Dear Friends!

When I tried to reply to a post I could not - whatever I wrote the system always returned "Your post is too short" error. This caused me to lose a very nice, long post that took a bit to write ("preview post" resulted in the error + clearing of everything I wrote).

The problem is that the site (seem to) use [url]yahooapis.com[/u] for post length calculation. If yahooapis is disallowed access by using the NoScript Firefox addon http://noscript.net/, any post is "too short".

While I understand that NoScript may be non-standard (and hence unsupported), I think it would be great if there was any way of informing me about it before I start to write. I think something like "If you are using any javascript blocker, make sure to allow yahooapis.com otherwise you won't be able to post" would do the trick nicely.

Obviously, the best would be to add something like - "This post is too short. If you are sure this is not true, press "Force post" to post. If you abuse this privilege you will be banned from further posting".

10-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Solution 1: don't use quick reply, or specify noscript.

It relies on AJAX unless noscript=1 is specified in the URL, and your blocking of YUI will break AJAX handlers unless our forum knows that you're disabling scripts.

Solution 2: unblock yahoo's CDN.

Blocking scripts from yahooapis is actually quite stupid, as dozens of sites rely on yahoo's CDN for YUI. No malicious scripts are ever served from there. YUI can also be saved locally, but serving it directly from Yahoo saves bandwidth and likely loads faster.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
WooooW - you sure are fast to reply! .

QuoteQuote:
don't use quick reply
If I use a "Post Reply" the same thing happens.
QuoteQuote:
Solution 1: don't use quick reply, or specify noscript.

It relies on AJAX unless noscript=1 is specified in the URL, and your blocking of YUI will break AJAX handlers unless our forum knows that you're disabling scripts.
Could you be more specific please? Does this feature work if I enable pentaxforum.com and disable everything else?

I always enable things on a site-by-site basis. I just keep forgetting that the pentaxforum requires yahoo to post...

QuoteQuote:
YUI can also be saved locally, but serving it directly from Yahoo saves bandwidth and likely loads faster.
I agree with you - this is not the solution. Is it possible to (easily) implement a test if yahoo is enabled and display a warning if it is not?
10-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Howdy Quote
Is it possible to (easily) implement a test if yahoo is enabled and display a warning if it is not?
If you just add the noscript=1 parameter to the url, you shouldn't have any problems. Honestly, though, I wouldn't think that any script problems could prevent you from posting, though, as all the checks are done internally.

QuoteOriginally posted by Howdy Quote
Could you be more specific please? Does this feature work if I enable pentaxforum.com and disable everything else?
If you disable the yahoo CDN site (yahooapis.com), things might not work correctly even if you allow all local scripts.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the explanation, Adam! Now I get it.

QuoteQuote:
Honestly, though, I wouldn't think that any script problems could prevent you from posting, though, as all the checks are done internally.
So maybe it would be a good idea if you installed Firefox + NoScript and try it yourself. Maybe just my Firefox is somehow misconfigured... or maybe there is some security hole waiting to be exploited there? If something should not happen and it does it is always a cause for concern... But I think that in this case there is a Problem Between my Keyboard and Chair .

Thank you for the help, Adam!