Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why so many blank pages.

Frequently, probably 20-30% of the time I get a completely blank page after clicking a link to a forum page (only links to other PF forum pages, never to external pages). This happens both at work and at home. F5, or clicking the Refresh button will will cause the page to load. Any ideas as to what might be happening?

10-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No idea, 'f course, but the same here!
10-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes it happens the other way.
Clicking the refresh button results in a blank page.
10-29-2010, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

The boring truth is each page is generated by the forum server as you request it. Information such as the posts on the page, your user information and how many PMs you haven't read are pulled from a database and combined with a template of the page you're loading.

If for some reason the information can't be pulled from the server quickly enough, the database protects itself by terminating the request for information (time out). This leads to the page you've requested being unable to generate properly, resulting in a blank page.

The main reason for this is that the website is being flooded with too many requests and can't keep up. Your options are:

1) Donate more so Adam can get a beefier server
2) Visit when traffic to the site is lower

10-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If not a question of insufficient hardware, it's actually caused by an issue with our opcode cacher for php.

Normally, every request you make makes php first compile the file on disk, then run it.with the cache, the compiled code is stored for a day in memory. This greatly reduces overall server load.

However, when the cached version of a file expires, the cache must recompile it. This is almost an instant process, but if multiple requests come in for the same file simultaneously, any requestes after the first will be dropped in order to prevent duplicate entries in the cache. Immediately refreshing will then give you the correct output,however.

Ill check the settings later today to stop this from happening. I believe there is an option to simply serve the file "the old way" while it's being recompiled.
10-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've now enable the appropriate setting to lock the cache while it's being written to. The blank pages should be gone.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no, it's still there....

10-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep.
10-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Damn- guess it must be a hardware incompatibility or something. Shouldn't be happening.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So Keyser was right; you do need more money.
10-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Not really- upgrading to PHP 5.3 and APC 3.1 would probably do the trick (or simply disabling APC).

Are you guys still getting the blank pages? Haven't seen one since I changed the APC settings.

Adam

10-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not nearly as often.
10-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Better now indeed. I will report today or tomorrow if there are still problems!
10-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi guys:

Just an update- I've traced the cause of this issue. Segmentation faults are randomly occurring in httpd processes due to the absence of the "host" command on my server. I will look into this and fix the problem as soon as possible.

Adam

10-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I was getting quite a few, but seems a bit better at the moment.
I notice, however, over the last few days, when I go into the site (through Firefox) it is taking a little longer to load.
Previously, PF came up almost instantaneously.
Doesn't bother much. however.