Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dedicated K-5 and K-r sections

We have created two new dedicated DSLR forums- one for the K-5 and one for the K-r. While the K-5 seems to be a much bigger hit, we think that providing a separate section for both of the new Pentax bodies is the right way to go.

Why no dedicated K-x or K-7 forums? Simple. Our DSLR discussion forum is still going to be around, and it should continue being the center of general DSLR discussion. In light of the recent changes, it will now also encompass discussion of all previous-generation Pentax DSLRs (K-7, K-x, K-m, K20D, K10D, K100D series, *ist D series); i.e. those launched in or prior to 2009. We feel that having 3 or 4 dedicated forums would backfire in terms of organization and make the forum as a whole more difficult to navigate. With the absence of K-5 and K-r topics in the DSLR Discussion forum, K-7 and K-x threads will become much more visible, which is also a good thing!

Please let us know if there are any sticky threads that need updating, or rules that need revising.

At this time, the moderators will be moving any new threads related to the K-5 and K-r out of the DSLR section and into the dedicated sections. If you start a new thread that covers more than one camera, the rule of thumb is to post it in the DSLR Discussion forum if more than 50% of its content is unrelated to either the K-5 or the K-r. We won't be issuing warnings or infractions for misplaced K-5 or K-r threads so that everyone has a chance to adapt to the new system, but please help us do our jobs by posting in the correct categories right off the bat!

We'd also like to turn your attention to our improved search system, which will allow you to search for the K5 and Kr keywords within any context! See here for details: Website Search Overhauled - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

We hope that these changes help better facilitate your discussion of these fantastic cameras. Feel free to post any further comments or suggestions here, and enjoy!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Great thinking! Will the k5 and k-r forums be merged with the dslr forum when new forums are created for their successors?
11-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Great thinking! Will the k5 and k-r forums be merged with the dslr forum when new forums are created for their successors?
Yup, and they'll be replaced by forums for those successors.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-12-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

In my opinion and in kindness to offer feedback, I dont like the move. To me, it makes me have to hunt more within the forum rather than the way it was. I rather enjoyed reading bits about the K-5 and K-r along with the other models within one area "DSLR Discussion". Seems a little more micro-managed now.

I dont like it and if you want feedback, my vote is to change it back.

Jason

11-12-2010, 07:04 AM   #5

La K-5 esta dando de que hablar. me alegra. Desde hace mas de 20 años obtuve mi primera Pentax (K1000), espectacular cámara. Desde entonces me apasioné por la fotografía. En este momento utilizo una bridge, pero me gustaria hacerme a la K-5, estoy seguro de que el trabajo que se puede realizar con ella es muy bueno. Espero comentario... gracias
11-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #6
1,000,000th Poster!

Browsing the forum, I realize that having a K-x tends to make me avoid the two new sub-forums.

Some of the very advanced and interesting characters on this forum will be posting in the K-5/K-r sections, while others that are just as technically advanced and interesting but holding on to their K20d and K-7 will be posting in a separate section.

No one will convince me that the only posts in there will on specific features that are only available on the K-5 and K-r. Other than hi-ISO capabilities (even then, the K-x can hold its own), most of the posts will be about things that someone with a less recent camera can participate.

To me this is a loss, limiting the interesting insight and discussions on both sides. In the long run it will segregate the community. If I would have started on the forum with a dedicated K-x section, I would have avoided the other sections, and learned much less than I did. Now I'd be relegated to the general DSLR discussions forum. I'd think of it as a downgrade, when it's quite the opposite!

Last edited by Flickeroo; 11-12-2010 at 07:58 AM.
11-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flickeroo Quote
Browsing the forum, I realize that having a K-x tends to make me avoid the two new sub-forums.

Some of the very advanced and interesting characters on this forum will be posting in the K-5/K-r sections, while others that are just as technically advanced and interesting but holding on to their K20d and K-7 will be posting in a separate section.

No one will convince me that the only posts in there will on specific features that are only available on the K-5 and K-r. Other than hi-ISO capabilities (even then, the K-x can hold its own), most of the posts will be about things that someone with a less recent camera can participate.

To me this is a loss, limiting the interesting insight and discussions on both sides. In the long run it will segregate the community. If I would have started on the forum with a dedicated K-x section, I would have avoided the other sections, and learned much less than I did. Now I'd be relegated to the general DSLR discussions forum. I'd think of it as a downgrade, when it's quite the opposite!
I agree!

Jason

11-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Flickeroo Quote

On one of the car forums I am a member of, there is a seperate sub-forum for each generation of car, turbo powertrains, non-turbo powertrains, etc..

It makes finding relevant information much easier and does not really segregate the community. People with one model are free to post and browse in a different sub-forum.

This is a discussion forum but also a place where people come to research different models. I know on some of the larger forums I belong to information really does get lost easily.
11-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Posting from other thread as Adam suggested.

I also don't like this move. It will be too many forums to browse through, I would prefer to see all the discussion under one forum than different forum - who know I might come across something interesting. Also, something applied to one model likely to apply to another and that's an another reason to have everything under one umbrella.

Will sincerely request to revert back or give us an option in settings.
11-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
Pentaxian

We have seperate sub-forums for DSLR bodies, Film SLR bodies, lenses, tutorials, news, etc...

If you take the thinking that breaking things up makes information harder to find and apply it to the entire forum, you'd end up with everything under one sub-forum. It would make information virtually impossible to find.
11-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
We have seperate sub-forums for DSLR bodies, Film SLR bodies, lenses, tutorials, news, etc...

If you take the thinking that breaking things up makes information harder to find and apply it to the entire forum, you'd end up with everything under one sub-forum. It would make information virtually impossible to find.
ok, in that case how about sub forums for

SLR Zoom lenses
SLR Prime lenses
SLR MF lenses (subforum, A & non-A)
SLR AF lenses
Hoya filter (may be different subforum for 49mm, 52mm, etc)
Kenko filter
Pentax M42 adapter
TTL cord

Sorry to sound sarcastic but does it make sense? com'on - what was hard to find in one forum - I guess we were perfectly fine with one DSLR forum and now I likely to miss information just because it is now in another forum. It will also add to confusion in which forum I should post depending on subject.

I request to change it back the way it was.
11-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I think the risk of missing something due to it not all being jumbled into one sub-forum is outweighed by the ease of finding info specific to a specific body.

Frankly I find the lens sub-forum messy to read too. If I am browsing through looking for DA* lens info I don't really want to see every other lens from every other manufacturer as well.
11-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Discussion

That's a great idea, but when are you going to send me my K5 so that I can discuss it?
11-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #14

Why not use the "(Click here to view the latest topics)" link next to the headline of the "Pentax Cameras" group name, if you fear missing out interesting posts?

I usually do this, but use the "Browse New Posts" in the Forum menu dropdown. You always find some interesting topic in there.
11-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I was just browsing prices online at a local retailer, noticed that the K-r is over $800. Thought I'd check out the forum to see why - hey, look! All the K-r related info is right in one spot! No sifting and sorting through posts related to all the other cameras!

I understand what some folks are trying to get at tho - this could be solved with the addition of a "comparison" sub-forum.