Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Gaaahh... blocked links - where does this end?

Sorry to see that PF's owner has blocked dpr3view links in response to dpr3view's own same self-destructive policy. The "we have to do this bad thing because the other guys are doing it" argument is misguided and always leads to a bad result in the end, in my view. Always.

PF have until recently been relatively free from the general trend which has mutated the www ethos of free flow of information into free flow of money (from you or your actions to me). Blocked links, skimlinks changing user's posts, external links bounced through some commercial site; all bad juju that reduce my enjoyment of PF readership.

Now I don't begrudge for a second Adam's right to make PF whatever he wants it to be. But I do know this: Photography is a hobby of enjoyment for me. The site changes have nibbled away at my enjoyment of participating. At some point, if it continues to feel like I've been worked over every time I visit, I'll stop coming. Which is a sad thing - I don't think there is another place with the wealth of Pentax knowledge and experience. I suspect I am not alone in this.

Since I tagged this post "Suggestion," here it is. Please consider the long term consequences before instituting commercialization steps. My hope is that PF (and owner) will thrive and PF will maintain its good reputation over the long haul.

11-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I agree...

DPReview has been up to such behavior for much longer than the PF have been around.
And one of the biggest assets for the PF has been its friendly down to earth atmosphere.
However, how can the PF's stay down to earth while taking part in corporate tactics?

I say leave DPReview do its thing and the PF's maintains its integrity as the exception to the rule by not engaging in corporate bottom line tactics and setting the example.

Unless of course... there are plans I am not aware of for the PF's.
In which case, I would say, just ignore everything I just said.
11-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should discuss this in the general talk thread rather than here. Hopefully DPR will wake up and take action, which would in turn benefit members of both forums very positively.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Closed Thread