Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Sentence or Two for New Members Registering?

I know that people join web sites with various intentions of staying or not staying around. And they have cute things to say to list their locations instead of just saying what part of the world they're from.

I've met many great people here, and a few in particular the last few weeks, but their screen names are not only bizarre, you can't remember them and it's impossible to address them by that name.

I know this is the basic situation for all web sites with forums, but when a new member registers, would it be possible to include a line next to member name that says something like:

"You are free to choose the member name of your choice. However, be aware that you will be making many new friends on this site, and to make communications easier between ourselves and to best get to know you, we suggest you use your first name or a memorable nickname as part of your screen name."

I don't know if I'm explaining it right, but some of the screen names are not really names, and it's awkward communicating and addressing folks like this.

Again, I know it's a member's preference, but maybe a simple sentence in this part of the registration process will convince a new member to register as "Harry78," as opposed to "InnerSanctumOfHell."

11-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There's a field for real name that can be filled out at registration, should the user want to share their real name. Do you think the description about it gets the point across?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-14-2010, 03:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Cute things about locations, like FL? Do you honestly think everyone in the world knows where that is?
11-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There's a field for real name that can be filled out at registration, should the user want to share their real name. Do you think the description about it gets the point across?
It's been so long since I registered here that I don't remember at all.

I just think there are a lot of forum members here who wish they chose a different member name, and would maybe want to change it, without reregistering and losing their prior posts.

Is it possible to provide a profile function for a member to change their name with no ill effects, and MAYBE a "former member name" for a week or two so they can make the transition?

I totally understand someone's desire to register at first as ALxG749*, but I think that after a few weeks of being here, they would just like to be referred to as "Bob." Encouraging first name use makes the place so much friendlier, and easier for us to communicate with each other.

Believe me:

I'm no fan of "Ira," but I know it helps people recognize me*for the a-hole that I am.

Just a thought, and I know you guys have enough on your plate. But if you used SaltyWaterTaffy as your screen name instead of Adam, it would make it pretty weird to engage in communications when I was addressing you.

11-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Members can always request a name change, and what I recommend is that you write a blurb about that in your signature should you request one

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-15-2010, 04:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I generally agree. It's nice when people use a "real" name. It much easier to address someone as "Ira", in a reply than it is to say "Thank you N2PntxKMslrs. That is a good point." When people use userids like that they really need to include their first name in either their Sig or in their profile.

However, what if "InnerSanctumOfHell" is their business name? I almost registered as CarpeLuminous...

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 11-15-2010 at 05:13 AM.
11-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Okay, fine, I'll put my real first name in my signature.

11-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
You can call me caps....or Joel....

does that help any?
11-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Capslock118 Quote
You can call me caps....or Joel....

does that help any?
It helps to call you Joel, but I'm never going to remember that if it isn't your user name, or if you don't sign off with --Joel.

What can I say? It's just easier to remember people based on real names. And people who select user names with "Pentax" in them don't help at ALL.
11-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Cant you just go look on their profile if you want to know a name?
11-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Cant you just go look on their profile if you want to know a name?
No, because those who don't use their name in their screen name never include it in their profile.
11-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
No, because those who don't use their name in their screen name never include it in their profile.
I must be 1 in a million then because my name is in my profile, I just happened to use the screen name capslock for almost anything internet related for the past 10 years, why change it up and confuse myself?

I understand though, it would be hard trying to address someone half-way through writing a post then you realize you don't know their name and you end up having to leave the page in search for the persons name.

I took unixrevolutions idea and put my name in my signature.
11-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In my experience, forums that use real names also stay more civil.
11-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
This is truth.
11-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I agree. As a general habit I'd rather turn to the person on the side of the wire by their name, than by some awkward symbol contraption...