Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can we call "Register" - "Sign in" or "Sign in or register"?

I just realized today that the "Register" link on the main page also contains the "Sign in" controls - I used to think it was just for registration and I was clicking on "Forums" to get the sign in controls. This naming is non-standard and thus contrary to expectations. Usually, such link is just called "Sign in" (amazon, for example) or there are separate links for each purpose (adorama) or a link including both meanings (B&H), but I've never seen elsewhere just a Register link. I would imagine most people look for a Sign in or Log on and miss the Register link; also, the number of logins normally exceeds that of new registrations. Can we rename the link to surface more easily its ability to allow us to login?

11-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We don't have a dedicated login page; it's only shown on a $_REQUEST basis when trying to access something you're not allowed to open. Don't think you can ask for much more than a login box on every forum page, in the upper-right ;P

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Compare the pentaforums.com page with the pentaxforums.com/forums/ one - the latter has login controls, the former only has a register link. Why shouldn't the login controls be available from the main page - I need at least a click to get to them - those controls should be available without any additional action once I get to the main page, or at the very least the link leading to them should suggest it is for login as well, not only for registration.
11-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Oh, I see what you're getting at. That's because the homepage isn't part of the forum, i.e. there's nothing to log in to. Furthermore, you can't just "forward" the login data because of XSS protection on the forum portion of the site.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see, but still - why call that link "Register" instead of something like "Sign in/Register"? Surely, that can't raise technical issues.
11-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Because there isn't any room left! The logo will cause the text to break onto a new line.

Adam

11-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see. But are people really clicking on those other two links? I clicked today on them and they didn't result in anything useful.

"Top Pentax Discussions" leads me to some page for a tag ranking - I'm not sure what I can do with that. Are people really clicking on it when they visit the home page?

The "Latest Forums Posts" is useful only if you're logged in already, otherwise it's coming up empty.

I would imagine signing in is a top priority for people coming to PF - I find it strange we don't surface a way to do that more obviously.
11-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The new posts link should work for everyone. If it's not, then it has to be changed to getdaily.

The latests discussions link is mostly there for seo purposes.

Most of our traffic is from guest visits, and if people want to log in, they'll certainly do it- it's not hard to locate at all!