Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We're back (in yesterday land)

Hi guys,

I'm happy to say that we're now back 100%. All our data has been migrated to a new server, and it's up and running and safe.

Unfortunately, about 2 hours ago, a server tech working on a webmail client accidentally (man we've had a lot of these lately) truncated all the mysql databases on the server, resulting in 24 hours of data loss.

Thus, was you see here are practically the forums yesterday. Here is what you can expect to be gone if it was posted after 6:30pm on 11/30 and before 6:25pm on 12/1:
-threads
-pictures
-PMs
-donation**/bh/adorama credit*

*If you made an adorama or B&H purchase that I credited for you yesterday, please contact me via PM so I can re-credit it! Same for paypal donations made after 8pm yesterday and before 6:25pm today.
**I would like to thank everyone who donated in response to our e-mail calling for help. If you donated yesterday after my e-mail was sent out, I will happily grant you Loyal Site Supporter status instead of regular Site Supporter status as a token of my appreciation. Please send me a PM with these requests as well!

You can't possibly imagine how furious I was when I learned that the database had been accidentally wiped - because that's not something that a professional getting paid $112 an hour typically would do.

In any case, all's well that ends well, and I'm looking forward to 100% uptime in the forthcoming months.

Also, I'll have a very special surprise for you guys which I expect to be posted tomorrow.

Adam

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Lots of people are asking:

"Will you be able to restore message x and post y"?

The simple answer is:
No. The data that was lost was lost permanently, as it was an unexpected occurrence that fell outside of our regular backups.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well OK.
So we are up to speed?, I guess.
Good work on your part. Thanks again.
12-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You've got a strong case for damages if you believe they were negligent in their responsibilities. You should at least get the money for the extra work you had to do to correct their mistake.

12-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for all your efforts, Adam! By the way, is tarring and feathering still legal? NO? Then how about drawing and quartering?
12-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adam, are you going to do a global e-mail to let everyone know that their post/picture/whatever may have been lost? I was thinking specifically of ppl who may have uploaded a pic to the monthly contest or to the premium gallery or one of the weekly contests. People should know that their shot isn't where they expect it to be.

NaCl(this way people can repost if needed)H2O
12-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yup, the e-mail is currently being written, and then I'll be signing off for the night. Server is locked down, things are quiet everywhere except on the forum

Adam

12-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Unfortunately, about 2 hours ago, a server tech working on a webmail client accidentally (man we've had a lot of these lately) truncated all the mysql databases on the server, resulting in 24 hours of data loss.

You can't possibly imagine how furious I was when I learned that the database had been accidentally wiped - because that's not something that a professional getting paid $112 an hour typically would do.
woah very lucky still it was only 24hrs of data loss and not more

Does e-vault backup your mysql databases ? As something like r1soft cdp enterprise also has mysql database plugin http://www.r1soft.com/linux-cdp/cdp-enterprise-edition/mysql/ to backup mysql data at data block level so you can roll back your databases to any backup point you set - default is like backup point every 60 minutes but you can set it to every 1 min to 15 min so you'd only loose like 1 hrs worth of data on default settings. Has saved some of my clients countless head aches for web site file and database rollbacks

HTH
12-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The data loss wouldn't have happened to being with if the server administration company had signed off and I had taken my regular backups.

Yup, e-vault is doing daily backups, and plesk is doing weekly backups from here on out. The cdp software was recommended to me earlier by the server administration company, but they're not getting any more business from me!

Adam

12-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #10

I see, don't let that server admin company put you off r1soft cdp though - definitely something you'd want to look into for the future - very fine control over your backup interval/rollbacks which don't add load to your servers.

Last edited by eva2000; 12-01-2010 at 08:02 PM.
12-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Adam,
i made an extra donation late yesterday afternoon. The email from paypal was clocked at 16:35 EST. What time zone was that 18:30 cutoff? Just want to make sure my shekles made it. Thanks, Lee
12-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

24 hours of data, $112.00 an hour. Seems like it should be $2688.00 off the bill,right?
12-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Looks good, Lee. It was there before we migrated!

You'd think so, Jim, but it looks like they're only taking off 10% or so from the bill.

I've now responded/handled all PM donation requests. Note that I wasn't able to reply to everyone, as the instant I would open a PM there sat a new one in my inbox.

Adam

12-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
24 hours of data, $112.00 an hour. Seems like it should be $2688.00 off the bill,right?
I think we have to review the contract/work order before starting the class action suit.
12-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks good, Lee. It was there before we migrated!
Thanks Adam. Go have a brew on PF.COM.