Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2007, 11:50 PM   #1

'buyer beware' sticky for dishonest/unpaying members?

for the marketplace forum, to notify other members of known fraudulent transactions by dishonest members. i think it's a must if situations as such ever arise, to let others know in a non obtrusive manner.

09-29-2007, 11:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That's what feedback is for. You can click on the username and on the right box, there's a link to check a person's feedback score, if any. It's up to those involved to leave appropriate feedback.
09-30-2007, 12:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for clarifying!

i think a sticky would be more effective, one that can be updated with members that participate in fraud or scams.

Last edited by boosted84wagonmonster; 09-30-2007 at 12:46 AM.
09-30-2007, 04:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

A list isn't really necessary at this point IMO.

It really is up to the buyer to check feedback and for those who have dealt on the forums to leave appropriate feedback after each transaction. The two who were involved in the kingsofronin deal didn't even leave negative feedback. I'll see about adding another sticky for buying/selling however.

Last edited by Toshi; 09-30-2007 at 04:32 AM.
09-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Toshi Quote
A list isn't really necessary at this point IMO.

It really is up to the buyer to check feedback and for those who have dealt on the forums to leave appropriate feedback after each transaction. The two who were involved in the kingsofronin deal didn't even leave negative feedback. I'll see about adding another sticky for buying/selling however.
Since only one member is asking for this it hardly seems necessary. Besides, the individual that caused the scam in question has left the forum. I am not sure how the administration section on this forum works but some will allow you to list members IP addresses and ban them. You could also ban his email addy and nick.

Why bother with a 'badge of shame' if he is never coming back? Just fling him out for good!
09-30-2007, 05:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
or we can just start threads for people completely uninvolved to add their two cents!
09-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I must have missed something. Was someone up to no good? if so I thought there was a time we thought about adding something about you must have a certian number of posts to add to the marketplace. Mayb time to rethink that.

09-30-2007, 06:37 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
I must have missed something. Was someone up to no good? if so I thought there was a time we thought about adding something about you must have a certian number of posts to add to the marketplace. Mayb time to rethink that.
that's a great idea, to keep people with little or no posts elsewhere from attempting to scam in the MP.

and since you missed it, here's the thread that's sparked all this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/12327-kingsofronin-saga-any-news.html
09-30-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Since only one member is asking for this it hardly seems necessary. Besides, the individual that caused the scam in question has left the forum. I am not sure how the administration section on this forum works but some will allow you to list members IP addresses and ban them. You could also ban his email addy and nick.

Why bother with a 'badge of shame' if he is never coming back? Just fling him out for good!
I agree. The list will just become a list of banned users. These type of users are not going to come back.

QuoteOriginally posted by boosted84wagonmonster Quote
or we can just start threads for people completely uninvolved to add their two cents!
You need to cut down your attitude/sarcasm. Stop worrying about this whole issue already, it's becoming annoying. You've already made your point, move on with it. Go out and shoot and contribute to the forum in better ways.
09-30-2007, 06:41 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Toshi Quote
You need to cut down your attitude/sarcasm. Stop worrying about this whole issue already, it's becoming annoying. You've already made your point, move on with it. Go out and shoot and contribute to the forum in better ways.
i didn't know attitude/sarcasm were against the rules, dad. you fail as a moderator and one of status on this message board.
09-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi boosted84wagonmonster,

Toshi's created a new sticky for the Marketplace which hopefully will clarify everything about reputation and how you know which sellers are confirmed to be legit. Dishonest members are few and generally get banned from the Marketplace (they are actually virtually nonexistent- we've only seen one so far), so there's no need for a list like the one you originally suggested.

i didn't know attitude/sarcasm were against the rules, dad. you fail as a moderator and one of status on this message board.
Also, please stow the attitude. PentaxForums.com isn't the place for that kind of talk.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-30-2007, 07:46 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Hi boosted84wagonmonster,

Toshi's created a new sticky for the Marketplace which hopefully will clarify everything about reputation and how you know which sellers are confirmed to be legit. Dishonest members are few and generally get banned from the Marketplace (they are actually virtually nonexistent- we've only seen one so far), so there's no need for a list like the one you originally suggested.

Also, please stow the attitude. PentaxForums.com isn't the place for that kind of talk.
I saw the sticky and think it'll prove valuable to all members, present and future. I will stow the attitude, along with my carry on baggage.
10-01-2007, 03:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

that's a great idea, to keep people with little or no posts elsewhere from attempting to scam in the MP.

and since you missed it, here's the thread that's sparked all this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/12327-kingsofronin-saga-any-news.html
Ok, so you think it is a waste of time discussion problems that the forum has encountered :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/12327-kingsofronin-saga-any-...tml#post100058

Yet, you make a thread about it yourself. Makes perfect sense.

If somebody wants to cheat others, the person has got to live with the risk of being singled out. Big deal. I certainly don’t see it as gossip, the latter I rarely take any interest in.
The Pentax community grows, and with it, problems can arise that wasn’t there earlier. That other people care for the unfortunate buyers, but you don’t, shouldn’t deter others for trying to find information about it.
10-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #14

Original Poster
seriously though, besides the username, items sold and value what else does anyone OUTSIDE of the transaction really need to know? the e-mail address and location of the scammer, maybe? these are things we can find in the individual's feedback, which means starting threads about scammers is...totally useless, catty and in bad taste.