Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2010, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
+1 for the Monty Python reference.

I hand out reputation points like candy for as little as someone making my smile etc. I wouldn't recommend that anyone take it too seriously.

(P.S. Just noticed that a reputation + from me is actually worth five points, not sure how that works).
I'm a geek. I thought everyone knew that memorizing at least one Monty Python movie was a requirement for becoming a geek.

12-24-2010, 01:57 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
jsherman999 Sent you some rep points Jewell! Merry Christmas.
Shouldn't I earn these though? And Merry Christmas points back to you as well!

QuoteQuote:
hcc When you go to "Manage your account / User Control Panel", go to "Latest Reputation Received" , you will read some feedback on "Comment". The comment is typically short but useful in my opinion.

Hope that the info will help
Thank you! It looks like I can only go back a few points though, is that correct? Kudos points to HCC for the help.
12-24-2010, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We definitely need more reward for rep points- I'm open to ideas!
Adam, I'm not quite sure the system works right now. And I think it has to do with the current obscure nature of the rp's. Helpful comments don't lead automatically to extra rp's. I often - most of the time to be honest - to reward the commenter with rp's. And I am glad there's not a kind of automated pup-up system, questioning "Was this comment helpful?" in order to remember members to donate rp's.

Do you really think it adds to the forum? Why not throw them overboard?

EDIT: Sorry. Forgot to mention: if this post was helpful..... click https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/reputation.php?p=1314545
12-24-2010, 05:49 AM   #34
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You guys asked for the system, so now you guys make it better. I'm open to ideas!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-24-2010, 05:52 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find it annoying that I often get the message "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ... again".
Some people are more helpful then others. I understand why it is there, but often it is quite some time ago I added reputation points to this user.
12-24-2010, 05:52 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm....not quite sure if I asked for it, Adam....
But I will think it over again....
12-24-2010, 06:01 AM   #37
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam, you've done alright setting it up. Everyone should know it's an imperfect system and cannot be enforced to be a more reliable measure in portraying true forum reputation. Making it better to me would indeed require an annoying reminder on read posts to consider adding rep points. Only it would be a nuisance to so many, it's not worth the hassle.

How about perhaps making the 'Add Reputation' hyperlink more conspicuous, like an icon beside the 'Quote' icon on individual posts. It's not the first thing on my mind (to leave rep points on posts I thought was helpful) and I'm sure it's the same for other members - maybe it would be even more patronised if made a more obvious feature on the page.

12-24-2010, 06:01 AM   #38
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

But I don't think we should be allowed to give anyone reputation points in the Politics and Religion forum!
Oh, I don't think you need to worry much about that, Ira.
12-24-2010, 06:14 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I'm a geek. I thought everyone knew that memorizing at least one Monty Python movie was a requirement for becoming a geek.
nope geekdom comes with memorizing the tv series (I could have quoted most sketches at one point, the dirty vicar was a favourite, and part of the reason my wife is with me was likely my idiocy born of python)
12-24-2010, 06:17 AM   #40
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Do you guys agree that the spread limit is too high? At the moment, I think it's set to 20, but it can certainly be lowered to 10 if that's a more natural number.

Also, new members will see the reputation icon as a text link rather than the thumbs-up icon, so that's a step toward exposure. In the future, I plan on integrating (more important) social networking tools into the postbit, so I don't think there's much of a point in making the rep system any more visible, at least until we add some more rewards and stuff.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-24-2010, 06:24 AM   #41
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's fine Adam.
Good work on it anyway. It's an OK feature.
12-24-2010, 06:30 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
nope geekdom comes with memorizing the tv series (I could have quoted most sketches at one point, the dirty vicar was a favourite, and part of the reason my wife is with me was likely my idiocy born of python)
Oh, believe me, my geekdom runs to all things Python and post-Python. I've even sat through Erik the Viking.

My favorite bit from the series.

QuoteQuote:
Well now, the result of last week's competition when we asked you to find a derogatory term for the Belgians. Well, the response was enormous and we took quite a long time sorting out the winners. There were some very clever entries. Mrs Hatred of Leicester Said 'let's not call them anything, let's just ignore them' ... (applause starts vigorously, but he holds his hands up for silence) ... and a Mr St John of Huntingdon said he couldn't think of anything more derogatory than Belgians. (cheers and applause; a girl in showgirl costume comes on and holds up placards through next bit) But in the end we settled on three choices: number three ... the Sprouts (placard 'The Sprouts'), sent in by Mrs Vicious of Hastings... very nice ; number two..... the Phlegms (placard) ... from Mrs Childmolester of Worthing; but the winner was undoubtedly from Mrs No-Supper-For-You from Norwood in Lancashire... Miserable Fat Belgian Bastards. (placard; roar of applause) Very good - thank you, Carol. (Carol exits) But as you know on this programme we're not just prejudiced against race or colour, we're also prejudiced against - yes, you've guessed, stinking homosexuals! (applause) So before the streets start emptying in Chelsea tonight, Let's go straight over to our popular prejudiced panel game and invite you once again to - Shoot The Poof! And could our first contestant sign in please.
12-24-2010, 06:36 AM   #43
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mothy Quote
WHAAATT?!? You mean I can't trade these in for a 645D??
Wow! That's too cool!

And for those that didn't notice, check out the 645 on the cover!!!
12-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
500 Platinum Bars gets one slightly used and sweat stained Pentax neck band.

Oh, and 1 Aw-Shit wipes out everything...
Here's the first reward.

Name:  IMGP3160.JPG
Views: 180
Size:  96.0 KB

Came attached to a Super Program I bought on Shopgoodwill. Overpaid, but I'd rather give my money to Goodwill than to eBay & Paypal. I was only buying it for the A50 1.4 attached to it anyway.
12-24-2010, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adam,

I think for me the problem of trying to suggest improvements is that I just do not understand how it works now. Is there anywhere that explains this? With the current parameters?

I had 4 people give me reputation with zero points. I'm not complaining, I already have a Pentax neck strap but that just doesn't make any sense to me. Also, I see post where they have "2 posts and 10 reputation", how does that happen? It really seems as if something is not working right.

Maybe I missed the explanation in the forum guide lines but I did look.