Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2010, 01:25 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Reputation Points System

This system came into being when I was away from the forum for several months. I returned to the forum, noticed it, and have had this question ever since.

Can you find out what you did right to earn points? tx

12-23-2010, 01:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was wondering that as well. But putting it in the 'wrong' section will not earn you any
12-23-2010, 02:32 AM - 3 Likes   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

When you go to "Manage your account / User Control Panel", go to "Latest Reputation Received" , you will read some feedback on "Comment". The comment is typically short but useful in my opinion.

Hope that the info will help.
12-23-2010, 03:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

@hcc: gave you a rep for it

12-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What exactly is the point of reputation points anyway? Does it actually earn you anything or just popularity points? Seems a touch juvenile to me.

Jason
12-23-2010, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

It gives trolls like me the opportunity to redeem oneself slightly.
12-23-2010, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I agree, they are totally juvenile. And thankfully you don't have to participate.

12-23-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I agree, they are totally juvenile. And thankfully you don't have to participate.
If someone takes a lot of time to help a newbie...typing a detailed post that he's typed 20 times before to give them a hand...it allows the newbie (or non-newbie) to say thanks.

Many members here go that extra mile, so I really don't think there's anything juvenile about it.

If I was new here and saw all of Wheatfield's points, I would know that I could trust what he was telling me.

Granted, in my case, I have a lot of points because I spend a lot of time here (being unemployed helps), but it sure doesn't mean I know more than anyone else. It just means that I helped more people on the basis of BOTH the number of my posts and their quality.

But I don't think we should be allowed to give anyone reputation points in the Politics and Religion forum!
12-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
If I was new here and saw all of Wheatfield's points, I would know that I could trust what he was telling me
So what you're saying is, the reputation is a function of time invested, not of any particular knowledge skill set, a form of recognition. I'm sure if you've ben here a while it encourages you to stay. However having Rep. of 15, is rather insulting. How does that encourage participation?

ANyway, it's sunny today, I need to get out and take some photos... even though it won't help my rep.
12-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wish points could be traded in like Green Stamps toward merchandise.
12-23-2010, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So what you're saying is, the reputation is a function of time invested, not of any particular knowledge skill set, a form of recognition. I'm sure if you've ben here a while it encourages you to stay. However having Rep. of 15, is rather insulting. How does that encourage participation?

ANyway, it's sunny today, I need to get out and take some photos... even though it won't help my rep.
It's a combination of both.

The reason it doesn't mean all that much right now is because when it first started, everyone went gung ho with the points, and that kind of petered out.

So you can say many things about the system, but "juvenile" sure doesn't describe it.

But since you only have 50 posts, why are you so pissed about having 15 points? That's a pretty damn good ratio.
12-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
How many people here do you think are old enough like us to know what you're talking about?
12-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
S&H green stamps, no doubt?

Jason
12-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I remember green stamps Ira, and i'm not that old (at least that's what i keep telling myself)
as for rep points, it's a nice recognition, but to tell the truth i don't even know where mine came from.
If I can help someone great, if others disagree with my advice they will pipe in, and really i don't care whether i get rep points or not
(I had to look at one of my posts to find out how many i had lol - 16 apparently since September or so) oops apparently now 22 wonder where the new 6 came from
12-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We definitely need more reward for rep points- I'm open to ideas!