Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Is there a thread or forum for LENS sales ONLY?

Hi there, thanks for 'listening' is there somewhere here, that gives a comprehensive list of what Tak lenses are best for what NON-Pentax DSLR's?

I'm looking and am finding random stuff, but im looking for something more comprehensive.

Thanks so very much!

12-26-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Our lens database has every m42 lens, so you'll be able to view user ratings and reviews there.
12-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bokehbetty Quote
Hi there, thanks for 'listening' is there somewhere here, that gives a comprehensive list of what Tak lenses are best for what NON-Pentax DSLR's?

I'm looking and am finding random stuff, but im looking for something more comprehensive.

Thanks so very much!
There's no such thing:

A particular lens isn't better for a Pentax body or non-Pentax body, like a Nikon body. It doesn't work that way. They're not "matched" to work vis-a-vis lens brand and body brand.

You posted something similar about this elsewhere, something that gave me the idea that you've been thinking in this direction, but please forget that.

It doesn't matter at all what the brand names of the lenses are matching to the brand names of the bodies. It only matters whether the particular lens is good, and if you can mount it on the body.
12-29-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
muchas gracias! im figuring it out very slowly but surely.

thanks again.

12-29-2010, 01:55 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
There's no such thing:

A particular lens isn't better for a Pentax body or non-Pentax body, like a Nikon body. It doesn't work that way. They're not "matched" to work vis-a-vis lens brand and body brand.

You posted something similar about this elsewhere, something that gave me the idea that you've been thinking in this direction, but please forget that.

It doesn't matter at all what the brand names of the lenses are matching to the brand names of the bodies. It only matters whether the particular lens is good, and if you can mount it on the body.

Ira - To me the brand name DOES matter, which is why I am here on this forum. Since I was NEW and still am - I didn't know a thing about how it worked and upon perusing through for a while, I decided to just ask, since there is so much information here, I didn't want to miss something that could obviously educate me. As far as if the lens is good or not, that comes with the brand and version of said lens.

And if it is an M42 mount, which is what I am/was looking for precisely, I already knew 'pretty much' that it will fit my camera. With one caviat (explanation below)

I already sorta 'knew' that but I needed clarification due to an fd/fl lens I purchased which the adaptor I purchased did NOT work, when I read about 13 different websites, including Amazon and ebay, and speaking to Calumet, Adorama and B&H and shockingly enough KEH that it WOULD work, well... it DIDNT work.

So today out of frustration, I wanted to hear the 'TRUTH' as to what really is going on with the mount and the dang lens. I called a local camera store and they told me that sometimes certain lenses would NEVER work with ANY mount out there. Even IF the lens has the exact same model numbers, size, they could just be built a little differently simply due to their evolution.. they just wont fit. Which is why I always ask a TON of questions before buying something to avoid said frustrations when the lenses arrive in the po box.

Because this is a labor of love and I labor over loving photography, only been submerged for the past 2 years every day is a learning experience and I try to remember it ALL!! *impossible*

So, im just going to take the pristine little bugger ( 35MM Canon FD ) and hack it into a tilt / shift. (do you have an answer for that perhaps? this is the lens which will not fit the Canon AF FD/FL adapter.

I can post an image of the 35 MM and the adapter if you would like.

I'd really appreciate your advice.

I love your Gear list. I too have two 2/58 Helios 44M, paid 75$ for one, and 92$ for the other... they are PRISTINE - and YES, I know I overpaid.. I had the money, so I didn't care, now - I'm kicking myself - but, at least I got them!!! (don't get freaked out.. but..) I hacked one of them into a tilt shift and kept the other as is. I realllly want an 85MM though. And can't find one where I wont be charged 250$ dollars. THAT IS RIDICULOUS! I also want a Jupiter9 and Jupter11... thats an entirely different story. Not to mention, i'd like to pick up some good ol' American made Sears lenses!!!! ")

Also, If you want it, I have a Vivitar Automatic Tele Converter 2x-4 FL-FD. Is this to use with Canon lenses to be used on Vivitar bodies? OR is it the other way around, Vivitar lenses to Canon bodies, (i dont imagine it is this because it says fl-fd which is a Canon lens description, im assuming it is used for Canon lens to Vivitar body.

However, it was attached to a PRISTINE..... IM TALKING PRISSSTINE big ol' lens, it's a SUN - OPT ~ 85-210MM f-4.8. IT SHOOTS TACK Sharp.. If it isn't pouring out tomorrow, I am going to go out and play with it and all my other glass I got today and yesterday.

I can take a picture of the Vivitar Tele Converter for you and post it or send it to you too if you'd like. If you pay for shipping and a tracking number. I will package this thing up and just give it to you if you'd like. This thing is 100% perfect. And, it does have two pieces of glass in it, both are perfect. no dust, scratches, etching, anything.

It sells on Ebay for 7-9$ but, like I said, I don't want your money I just want to 'gift' it to you since you seem to have a bunch of Vivitar goodies already.

Anyways, I appreciate your response to me -

Peace -

Last edited by bokehbetty; 12-29-2010 at 02:04 AM. Reason: too many typos
12-29-2010, 02:14 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

FYI if you actually want to discuss lenses this isn't the place for it; please use the lens forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-29-2010, 02:29 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
this was a direct response to IRA from what he wrote to me- how am I supposed to know where to post a private message in a different forum to someone, especially since it is a message JUST for him?
12-29-2010, 02:38 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Right, but further discussion should go in a new thread.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-29-2010, 04:14 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
what if it's PRIVATE? Where am I supposed to post then?
12-29-2010, 05:01 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Through a private message?

Adam

12-30-2010, 01:44 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Adam... I thought it WAS going directly to HIM because I hit quick reply.. I didn't realize that it would be broadcasted to the whole world because I didnt create a new thread even though it was in regards to my original post that was itselt a NEW THREAD.

Again, I am NEW. and I REALIZE there are in fact actual private messages....

But, I thought it WAS a private post.. because I clicked on quick reply IN his actual message to me.. So - no.. it wasn't intentional......

Thanks for understanding me being new and all..

Sorry.
12-30-2010, 01:54 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Would you like me to delete the above post so you can re-send it privately?

Adam