Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #16
Banned
Site Supporter

Original Poster
DA21: 5th review down - dead picture link.

DA35: Review by hs57 - dead picture link.
"Review" by LMC - non-review.

DA40: 5th review down - dead picture link.

Two other thoughts: allow folks to 'like' lens reviews, and add a link within the review section saying something like "Report Lens Review Errors and/or Dead Links Here"

12-29-2010, 02:18 AM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RayGunn Quote
How, or to where, would one "post links directly to any review"?
There's a permalink below the reviewer's username.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by A Modest Mouse Quote
Two other thoughts: allow folks to 'like' lens reviews, and add a link within the review section saying something like "Report Lens Review Errors and/or Dead Links Here"
The latter is there, at the top of the page in the table that shows average price and rating. A likes system would be a major modification that currently can't be done

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-29-2010, 02:39 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Found it...

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The latter is there, at the top of the page in the table that shows average price and rating.
It's labeled "Report Review".
RayGunn

12-29-2010, 04:19 AM   #20
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FA 31: link to flickr down: SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
FA 77: sample pictures are... weird at best: SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
CV 59 Nokton: hardly a review, essentially links to sample: Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Hope it helps.
12-29-2010, 04:28 AM   #21
Veteran Member

DA 18-55 WR: Review by indio192 is not a review in my opinion. Plus, he gave score of 1 to the lens which is far from realistic and affecting overall score. (I guess only a body cap can get scored that low!)

Also, user indio192 appears to have no other posts on the forum.

I'd suggest deleting that review.
12-29-2010, 05:08 AM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by A Modest Mouse Quote
DA21: 5th review down - dead picture link. DA35: Review by hs57 - dead picture link. "Review" by LMC - non-review. DA40: 5th review down - dead picture link.
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
FA 31: link to flickr down: SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database FA 77: sample pictures are... weird at best: SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database CV 59 Nokton: hardly a review, essentially links to sample: Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database
Handled- thanks! Note that we don't delete reviews unless they're not actually reviews.

Adam

12-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
DA 18-55 WR: Review by indio192 is not a review in my opinion. Plus, he gave score of 1 to the lens which is far from realistic and affecting overall score. (I guess only a body cap can get scored that low!)
Also, user indio192 appears to have no other posts on the forum.
I'd suggest deleting that review.
I agree with Ivan; his request appears to be VERY reasonable, in my opinion.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Handled- thanks! Note that we don't delete reviews unless they're not actually reviews.
Which just allows a one-post wonder with an agenda to skew a lens average score based on other reviews posted by responsible, multi-posting members of the Pentax Forums.

Adam... Consider this, please: Do not allow a member to post a review until that member has posted some minimum number of photos to Pentax Forums.
After all, you already require a minimum number of posts before a new member can post a PM.

RayGunn
12-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a thought to help with dead photo links: PF provides the file hosting space but it doesn't "subtract" from a user's Attachment Space or Album Space. I know I've gone thru my flickr account and deleted shots, same with my PF albums. Hopefully, there were no shots that linked directly to a lens review, but I'm sure it happens unintentionally.
12-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #25
Banned
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Indeed - Flickr (for the limited bandwidth of free accounts and transient nature of shots) isn't a great bet on leaving something to remain that you wish to be permanent (like one would like the shots to be in a user review that will be read over and over). Though still bandwidth limited (free user accounts) - Photobucket provides a bit more; and obviously having a paid account with one of these sites is a good way to ensure your photos will stick around. (Even better to host them here if they are to be used for lens reviews).

Also, providing a link (instead of embedding a shot) - either to a specific shot or gallery is a good bet as well, as it won't typically count towards your bandwidth. I'd encourage those future conscious folks (these reviews and your shots can become a useful 'permanent' record) to keep their online portfolios organized and not to delete shots that you've linked to specific forums, such as this one. The reviews, and posts, are so much more meaningful when the subject matter being discussed (the shots) are still there to be examined.

Thanks to the mods and other users for helping clean up the lens reviews.

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Here's a thought to help with dead photo links: PF provides the file hosting space but it doesn't "subtract" from a user's Attachment Space or Album Space. I know I've gone thru my flickr account and deleted shots, same with my PF albums. Hopefully, there were no shots that linked directly to a lens review, but I'm sure it happens unintentionally.
12-30-2010, 01:07 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Here's a thought to help with dead photo links: PF provides the file hosting space but it doesn't "subtract" from a user's Attachment Space or Album Space.
I just logged in to suggest exactly the same thing.

BTW, I don't see the attach file feature in the lens reviews editor, perhaps adding that would help?
12-30-2010, 01:35 AM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Adam... Consider this, please: Do not allow a member to post a review until that member has posted some minimum number of photos to Pentax Forums.
Definitely a thought, although the current restrictions are solely there to prevent spam.

I agree with Ivan; his request appears to be VERY reasonable, in my opinion.
The FA* 85mm has all 10 reviews except for 1 5 from a user with a defective copy. Has it been edited? Nope. The user reviews have to be taken at face value, and it shouldn't be up to us to determine if chosen scores are "justified", unless of course someone posts complete bogus.

BTW, I don't see the attach file feature in the lens reviews editor, perhaps adding that would help?
I've noticed that the "insert album photo" link is there- it can be used to easily embed photos that have already been uploaded to the gallery or in albums. Unfortunately, as nice as a direct attachment feature would be, it's simply out of the question for technical reasons (at the moment).

One thing I'm actually considering is converting all embedded images to image links. I personally have found that most of the images people attach say nothing about the lens itself unless viewed in a larger size, and therefore, the link would be much more helpful (plus, then people could actually describe the photo).

FYI Ole will be handling further review corrections, so feel free to send some links his way!

Adam

12-30-2010, 07:28 AM   #28
Veteran Member

You mean posts? If so, I support the idea.
12-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Is it possible to show "Recommended By" column between "Rating" and "Reviews" columns on the category list page? That would be one more way to compare lenses listed without having to rely on the average score alone.
12-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #30
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Is it possible to show "Recommended By" column between "Rating" and "Reviews" columns on the category list page? That would be one more way to compare lenses listed without having to rely on the average score alone.
Yes, but it's a little bit difficult to implement (I wanted to do it earlier) since it's actually calculated on the fly. I'll see if I can't come up with a workaround later on.

Adam