Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
One thing I'm actually considering is converting all embedded images to image links. I personally have found that most of the images people attach say nothing about the lens itself unless viewed in a larger size, and therefore, the link would be much more helpful (plus, then people could actually describe the photo).
Adam,

When someone uploads a photo to the forum Gallery, whether part of the World Pentax Day, it ends up there after submitting to PF Exclusive gallery, or just a plain upload, does this count "against" user file space, like "Sum of All Attachments," etc., or does it "become" part of Pentax Forums until the user decides to delete it?

I noticed that when adding a new lens to the database, the photo of the lens I uploaded got watermarked "Pentax Forums" in the process. This would seem to be the easiest way to insure that photos submitted as part of a lens review would remain part of the review. And if needed, a statement to the effect of "by uploading a photo as part of a lens review, the user agrees that Pentax Forums retains the right to use the photo indefinitely for the sole purpose of the review, the user retains all other rights to use of the photo. This copy of the photo will be hosted by Pentax Forums free of charge."

12-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #32
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Right, the photos uploaded along with a lens entry are stored directly within the lens database, but that's only for the lens entry and not the actual review itself. There's currently no feature to just upload pics to reviews (unless of course you want to write one for our homepage )

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I knew how to, I'd be happy to, but the last programming I did was around '85-'86, so you probably DON'T want me messing with things.
12-31-2010, 01:28 AM   #34
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I can do it, but unfortunately the lens database does a fairly poor job of using the vbulletin api, and as such the change would require manual file edits for each individual database, as well as file and template alterations - half a day at best!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-31-2010, 07:02 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could there be a workaround to this, i.e. set up a special PF Album for lens review photos, admin approval if necessary to prevent abuse, where a reviewer could upload photos to and then link or insert as is currently done?
12-31-2010, 07:34 AM   #36
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You can just use the gallery for that- upload to the misc. section and then embed the photo. It would be possible to add attachment controls to the review editor that would go off the attachment system, but, again, it would be a hassle to program and there are more useful things to be done around the site.

Adam

12-31-2010, 01:58 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can just use the gallery for that- upload to the misc. section and then embed the photo.
That's what I wasn't sure of...whether there was a storage limitation on user uploads to the gallery.

01-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #38
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There is a limited number of photos you can upload- check my photos > attachments for full details!
01-09-2011, 12:28 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SMC Pentax-A* 300mm F2.8 ED [IF] Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

this review is just an advertisement for an expired ebay auction
01-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #40
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Good catch- it's gone!

Adam

01-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #41
Inactive Account

Adam, two items to consider...

There are two items which I would find helpful in the reviews:
1. Consistency in the "max magnification" for a lens. I have seen this datum expressed as 0.12X, 1:2.7, and 1/2.7. If this datum could be changed in the lens reviews to be consistent, I volunteer to go through the lens reviews and calculate the datum in the format you choose as best, then submit a list of the lenses and my calculated datum.
2. For each lens, indicate the availability, or unavailability, of a lens hood and the specs for the lens hood. By specs, I mean the lens hood model number and whether it is a built-in, bayonet, or slip-on lens hood.

If you also believe these items might be helpful to others, please consider them.
RayGunn
01-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #42
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's definitely some useful info, but I doubt we'll get around to updating the info before the entire system changes to make entering such data easier.

Adam

01-10-2011, 05:21 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is another thread, perhaps closed now, in the lens forum containing similar complaints about the lens review section. The biggest issue I see is some people want to see photos taken by the lens. Others want a review

The issue with links is due to the space limitations for uploaded images. People ( self included) will delete photos that we no longer think relevant. If the photo is attached to a review then you are out of luck

Links to external databases are a bigger issue because PF does not control at all these links

Perhaps the way to deal with it is to only allow uploads directly to the forum in a separate database, and to block links

Personally I think the bes way is to have , as suggested before, a link to a database of images shot with the lens, separate from the reviews
01-10-2011, 05:37 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Personally I think the bes way is to have , as suggested before, a link to a database of images shot with the lens, separate from the reviews
I'd love to see this too.
01-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #45
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup that's a great idea- definitely something I'll keep in the back of my head. Until then, the full-length reviews will be a nice source for sample images, especially as more and more are written.

Adam