Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

Looks like a good thing. But I'd like to see a "1-click-like" for posts. I hate waiting for the little popup window and then having to click the button in the window too. I seldom "like" posts because of it.

12-28-2010, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This may annoy many but I really like this feature. I am a fan of facebook in general and often see posts here (photos or other threads) that I want I sometimes feel I want to show appreciation for the post and the typical (NICE SHOT) comment feels lame. Not sure if this LIKE feature will help with that but I will use the feature for sure.

Great job Adam
12-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As Monty Python says... Greet
12-28-2010, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice Feature.

12-28-2010, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #20

The Pentax Forum is more and more often the place I turn to find interesting and informative posts about photography. This latest innovation just reaffirms that I'm in the right place. Thanks
12-28-2010, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #21
Inactive Account

Thank you Adam!

This might be an important step towards condensing and organizing the best of information available in the forums.

There are needles of wisdom in the haystacks of related comments in forums like this. Many of these needles of truth are repeated over and over again, only to be hidden again in even greater volumes of related commentary which expand on & give them body, while also serving to dilute and obscure them.

How can all this important information be recognized, reorganized, and condensed into an efficient, while simultaneously deep, body of knowledge? I don't know, but I think you've taken an important step in that direction.
12-28-2010, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
. . .

All threads currently on the forum. Since this system goes off of the reputation system, which has been around for a while, it applies to all threads on the forum!
Given that: 1) how little the reputation system is used; and 2) people have to "spread" rep points around, I am not sure how this is going to elevate a given post.

12-28-2010, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Given that: 1) how little the reputation system is used; and 2) people have to "spread" rep points around, I am not sure how this is going to elevate a given post.
I too have little use for the "Like" or reputation system. I use the search function a lot more and I would rather see improvements to that feature. I always seem to be searching on obscure topics that not many members post about so this "new" feature is rather useless.
12-28-2010, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #24

Photos: Gallery
Thumbs Up
12-28-2010, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #25
m8o
Veteran Member

What a great/clever/well-done addition to the forum & rep system! You activated rep during a discussion in a thread I started in the suggestions section about it, but I'll admit even I came to use it / dole it out sparingly. Now that there's visible feedback however, it's suddenly taken on a whole new life for me and I'm marking 'my likes' far more, even tho the underlying implementation of rep is still the same. ....funny how that works!
12-28-2010, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #26
MSD

I think this is an improvement to the system. Individual posts can be appreciated not only by the original reader, but by subsequent readers who can use the like system to find the good posts. This will ease the search in longer threads.
12-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #27

very cool! I have been MIA...but I will be checking back more often
12-28-2010, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Adam...Im new to the forum so Im sure Ill find it very useful
12-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
What a great/clever/well-done addition to the forum & rep system! You activated rep during a discussion in a thread I started in the suggestions section about it, but I'll admit even I came to use it / dole it out sparingly. Now that there's visible feedback however, it's suddenly taken on a whole new life for me and I'm marking 'my likes' far more, even tho the underlying implementation of rep is still the same. ....funny how that works!
The thing is, you can only "like" one post from a given member for several weeks. I think the "like" should be included in the rep system but not be the main part for this reason.
12-29-2010, 02:02 AM   #30
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The thing is, you can only "like" one post from a given member for several weeks. I think the "like" should be included in the rep system but not be the main part for this reason.
The reputation spread has been reduced to 5 to provide a temporary workaround. However, I'm planning on changing how the whole "points" system will work: instead of seeing a wide range of rep powers (currently a click from some members gives 0 points while from others as many as 25), I think it might be better if the range was small- say from 1 to 3. Stay tuned for those changes!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: