Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PEG voting feedback

It seems clear on this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/12735...y-rejects.html that a some users (not a great number, just vocal ones) are disgruntled by the lack of feedback provided to images that are rejected from the gallery in the PEG approval process.

I previously suggested having a mandatory feedback prompt for voters giving 'no' votes to provide some constructive or otherwise appropriate comments to explain reasons for the vote and/or suggestions for improvement for resubmission if applicable.

Would it be appropriate to suggest such a systems modification on the PEG approval page to improve both the quality of the feedback process and 'customer satisfaction'?

01-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

As I've said earlier- the PEG isn't intended to improve peoples' photography - it's merely an exclusive collection of the best work from the community. If you want feedback on your photo, I recommend you post it in the critique section prior to submitting, or after being rejected (if that happens to be the case). I'm not sure how people would react to comments like "this photo sucks" if comments were made mandatory (no offense guys).

The primary purpose of the comment system is to suggest improvements for photos that are close to being accepted and only have a few easily-fixable flaws.

Here's an example of that: Unfurled #2 - Pentax User Photo Gallery
This photo was originally cropped as a horizontal. The judges commented that it would work much better as a vertical- and it did!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The primary purpose of the comment system is to suggest improvements for photos that are close to being accepted and only have a few easily-fixable flaws
This, I believe, is what submitters are after, but due to confusing positive comments (and no suggested improvements) on rejected images the feedback process may not be achieving this goal.

But I do take your point Adam - compelling voters to comment may cause such a backlash, however if voters have taken on the responsibility to vote, then they should also take the few seconds it takes to comment constructively on a submission, whether or not it comes close to being accepted in the gallery with minor adjustments.
01-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yeah, I hear you. In a perfect world, that would be the case. The reality, however, is that several judges need to be reminded to vote, so making the process take even longer would definitely backfire.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I hear you also Adam.
01-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Yeah, I hear you. In a perfect world, that would be the case. The reality, however, is that several judges need to be reminded to vote, so making the process take even longer would definitely backfire.
Not that any needed arm twisting is implied but if it's difficult to get people to do what they Agreed to do, maybe it's time to get new people.

01-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We're always open to new applications- but lots have been declined due to short membership length.

01-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
Inactive Account

We're always open to new applications- but lots have been declined due to short membership length.
Where does one apply?

01-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

See here: Exclusive Photo Judges Needed - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam

01-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Ok. I'll give it a shot..

Before I do however, so I don't waste my time, you said

QuoteQuote:
but lots have been declined due to short membership length
What is considered 'short membership length'?

01-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

When you've got 5 posts and registered last month

Adam