Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Reputation Power Reduction

Hi I guess this one may for Adam, reading with interest all the new changes to reputation points system, I notice that my reputation points stay the same at 92, but my reputation power has gone down from 4 or 5 (I can't remember which) to 1.

Have I been a bad boy.

01-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reputations powers have been reduced significantly. Most members now have a power of 1, very senior members 2, and people who just post too much 3 or 4

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Is there a particular reason for that? Last I gave had a power of 8.

01-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

So that the spread limit can be very low and to make higher rep scores harder to earn.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

What is reputation power?

If you give someone reputation points, the value of the giver changes from member to member?
01-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Makes no sense.

I just saw that I have a 1.
01-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Right now your reputation power = 1 unless:
  • You have under 10 posts (0)
  • You have over 10,000 posts (+1)
  • You've been around for more than 3 years (+1)
Ideally we want the correspondence between reputation points and number of "like" clicks to be as close to 1-to-1 as possible while not placing a limit on the number of daily like clicks.

Adam

01-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Ah.... The Likes. Haven't 'liked' it since it started.

01-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

I think I'm with you on this one, Jeff. First I always had doubts about turning the forum into a running popularity contest. Second, the rules have always been hard to understand and seem to change constantly, Third, if this is supposed to be similar to "liking" something on Facebook, then only the number of "likes" for the post would be scored. Perhaps a contribution score for the number of reviews, articles, galleries and the like might make some sense to encourage permanent contributions, but a score that sounds a little like a cumulative record of past applause has always been a bit of question mark to me.

Last edited by GeneV; 01-25-2011 at 07:00 AM.
01-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Makes no sense.

I just saw that I have a 1.
Shouldn't that be .00001?

Just jerking your chain!
01-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I think I'm with you on this one, Jeff. First I always had doubts about turning the forum into a running popularity contest. Second, the rules have always been hard to understand and seem to change constantly, Third, if this is supposed to be similar to "liking" something on Facebook, then only the number of "likes" for the post would be scored. Perhaps a contribution score for the number of reviews, articles, galleries and the like might make some sense to encourage permanent contributions, but a score that sounds a little like a cumulative record of past applause has always been a bit of question mark to me.
It doesn't happen often Gene but I think we're on the same page here. If my rep was worth anything anymore, I'd give some for expanding the Haven't 'liked' comment. Not my site though, not my decision.

01-26-2011, 01:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

01-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Sorry guys, i'm newbee...what the reputation points are for ?? What do you get if you collect them ?
01-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Not much at the moment, except that they're required to obtain "Pentaxian" status with increases attachment space and grants marketplace access. Of course, you can always also donate

Adam

01-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Ok....something to think about I guess !