Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Arbitrary Moderation

I have some questions:

Are the rules concerning inappropriate language meant to be applied and enforced uniformly or are they applied according to the whims and caprices of individual moderators? Do the rules apply equally to all members or is there one set of rules for some and another set for the hoi polloi?

01-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Everyone's treated equally- but you can't see warnings that others get or when they get them.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, Adam. But in this particular case I can see by the action taken in my case and not taken in another case that there is room for doubt.
02-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In Adam's defense, along with the rest of the moderators here, this is a large site and expecting everything to be monitored 100% is somewhat unrealistic. If there is a post you are concerned about, you should report it.

02-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did report it. I also inquired about it and received no response. That is why I created this thread.

I would like to know why I got an infraction and had a post deleted for using "p•••y" in a post while another more prominent and respected member of the forum gets to use "F••K" in a thread title and have it left as it is.
02-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Our policy is to not discuss infractions with people who aren't directly involved, but rest assured that we either haven't gotten to this issue yet, or have already acted appropriately.
02-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Words, used in different contexts, have different meanings. And those meanings are open to various interpretations.

But separating the words themselves, are there certain disallowed words?

I got infracted once for Sh*t, except I didn't use the asterisk. Now, most of us would agree that I would still get my message across using the asterisk instead of the actual letter, but does it really make a difference? In everyone's mind, we still see Sh*t without the asterisk when we read it.

The problem with these "infractions" is that they're not only happening in innocuous, harmless situations...but towards people who contribute so much to this site, like Mike.

And it hurts.

We're not mindreaders, and as adults, we tend to talk as such. There are no gratuitous dirty words flying around here just for the hell of it, and it's simply impossible for members to know when we go over the line.

In other words, there is no way for a member to know when their use of a word in a certain context is acceptable to the mods or not.

02-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What I would do is ask myself how others would react to my statement.

For example:
"I think the heavy rain might have messed up my lens. Is this manufacturer known for including shitty weather seals?"

Would probably not get reported and therefore not probably noticed. However:
"My lens has become just as useful as a pile of warm and smelly shit. There's water inside- could rain have entered it?

The second statement looks like you're just showing off. Not appropriate. It would probably get reported and you'd get a warning for it, or an infraction if it's a repeat offense.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What I would do is ask myself how others would react to my statement.

For example:
"I think the heavy rain might have messed up my lens. Is this manufacturer known for including sh*tty weather seals?"

Would probably not get reported and therefore not probably noticed. However:
"My lens has become just as useful as a pile of warm and smelly sh*t. There's water inside- could rain have entered it?

The second statement looks like you're just showing off. Not appropriate. It would probably get reported and you'd get a warning for it, or an infraction if it's a repeat offense.
I just reported you post for inappropriate language.

Tim
02-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For the record, Adam, I don't contest the infraction or make any argument that the pun which drew it was in good taste. I have no kick about the infraction itself. My incredulity stemmed from an arguably worse and certainly entirely gratuitous example which predated my post and which doubtless was seen by far more people over a much longer time, probably including moderators.
02-28-2011, 02:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Borrowing this thread instead of starting a new one for a minor question:

Is there a way to know which moderator decided to "take action" against you, or to let them know what you think of their decision? Because while I realize moderator decisions are final and agree that this is a good way to go about things generally, I do not think an anonymous PM from "Moderator", impossible to reply to, is conducive to a great forum atmosphere when you think you have been treated unfairly.
02-28-2011, 03:08 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you have a question, please use the mod contact form- usernames of moderators who act on a matter are not shown as all decisions are collective. Usually we get back to you with what went wrong if you inquire about an infraction, warning, ban, etc.

Adam

02-28-2011, 03:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is the appeal which is in fact a post in the hidden moderator forum where the issue gets discussed. As a result infractions may be reversed or even the rules themselves get tweaked, if there would seem to be a point to that; making that point eloquently would seem to increase the odds of it not being missed .

Unfortunately (?), we cannot run a full-fledged judical system complete with statute books, judges, juries and lawyers. Fortunately, people are not sent to the gulag either.

Last edited by jolepp; 02-28-2011 at 10:30 AM.
02-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Did these answer your question Erik?

As Adam and Jouni state... the Contact A Mod feature generates a post which goes into the Moderator Forum where all of the staff have a chance to weigh in. You can also APPEAL any infraction...

Very little is done around here without concurrence of multiple team members.

Mike
PF Moderation Team