Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Serial number database: Mfr date

The manufacture date of the body is in the EXIF that can be seen with PhotoME or exiftool. Maybe there should be a field for it in the SN database?

02-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most people have no idea about that though, so we can't require this information. If available, it should be put in the descriptn field. I've seen some people do this already!
02-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Myself included

No, I don't think it should be required, but maybe an optional field?
02-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm going to leave it as it is right now and leave the description field open to any other interesting tidbits you might have. Lots of information could have its own fields- but if most of them aren't used, then they actually hurt visibility more than they contribute.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I had an idea that is probably not worth the effort, but I'm just thinking out loud at the moment. What if when entering the information into the fields, you could also upload a sample picture from the camera. The picture wouldn't be used or saved for anything other than to extract the date of manufacturer for the camera body from the EXIF data.

Again, normally I would discount my idea as a waste of time and effort, but in this specific case there is a lot of interest in determining a correlation of variables to sensor stains, and the date of manufacturer is very likely to be an important one.
02-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

jhead doesn't support the extraction of proprietary exif info, so I wouldn't know how to implement that. Would otherwise be a nice idea, but another problem would be that the post limit is set to 6Mb, and most full-size images with unmodified exif headers are larger than that.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
jhead doesn't support the extraction of proprietary exif info, so I wouldn't know how to implement that. Would otherwise be a nice idea, but another problem would be that the post limit is set to 6Mb, and most full-size images with unmodified exif headers are larger than that.
I suppose the second issue could be addressed by setting the camera to a smaller file (2-6 MP), which would keep the file size small enough. But at that point it takes away some of the ease of this potential method as it requires the user to specifically change settings and then take a picture for the sole purpose of determining the date. Plus, if there are technical issues with extracting proprietary exif data, then it's all a moot point anyway

02-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, Adam, if you think you might want to implement something like that, I could probably script exiftool to run on the back end and extract the date and populate a field in the form. My name is this for a reason.

PM me if you want me to take a look.
02-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you can make a C program that does that, then yeah, I could definitely use it to implement this feature.

Adam