Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Is there a "What's it worth" thread?...

Is there a specific section, or can someone suggest if there is a place to post a
"What's it worth" thread?

Thx
gw

02-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's reasonable to post your request in the lens discussion thread if it's a lens or the dSLR/SLR camera discussion thread if it's a camera, etc.
02-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I wonder if the Camera and Lens Review Databases don't already serve that purpose.
02-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You can certainly check the databases first, and then post a thread either in the dslr forum or the lens forum if you're looking to get more info.

A word of caution- threads like these often end up being "for sale" requests; note that there may only be posted in the Marketplace and that our policy on this is very strict.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I wonder if the Camera and Lens Review Databases don't already serve that purpose.
In reality they don't.

Most lens prices, especially over the last few years, went up substantially and a lot of the "data" in the database reflects prices before the increase. In addition, there is nothing in the review section pricing that takes into account lens condition, used vs new or someone getting a great deal. Combine that with the fact that most lenses have relatively few entries and the average prices often don't reflect the current market value.
02-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
Is there a specific section, or can someone suggest if there is a place to post a
"What's it worth" thread?

Thx
gw
I think ebay's "completed listings" filter (in the left hand column) is a good way to find what things are currently selling for.

For example, I searched for ZEISS TESSAR 50MM 2.8 M42, then after the search, clicked the "completed listings" box. After I logged in, it returned a list of about 25 recent sales.

Dave
02-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I would say your best sources are marketplace sales history (search the sold subforum) - it does take some time, but as Adam said, a thread asking about pricing generally turns into a for-sale thread quickly. If you can't find any sales of what you're selling from the last 6 months, and nothing on ebay, at that point I can see the worth of asking in the lens section of the forum. Also, I agree with dgaies regarding the lens database - too many either have no price listed, old pricing amounts (for currently available lenses) and super deals people snag locally to give a true current value.

02-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback all. Of the items, very few are lenses. The vast majority are brochures, odd's and ends, etc.