Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2006, 01:55 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Content: Lens Fact Sheets

I'm proud to announce that our first actual website content is ready. In addition to future reviews, we've now added Pentax lens fact sheets to the site.

To view them, visit this page: https://www.pentaxforums.com/index.php?page=lenses

These fact sheets include basic lens details as well as high-res photos of each lens (I took all the current photos today). The point here is to help you decide whether or not it a lens fits your needs.

These lenses are currently listed:

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm "Pancake" F2.8
SMC Pentax-DA 12-24mm ED AL (IF) F4
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm AL F3.5-5.6
SMC Pentax-DA 50-200mm ED F4-5.6
SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm Fisheye ED (IF) F3.5-4.5
SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4
SMC Pentax-FA 31mm AL Limited F1.8
SMC Pentax-FA 77mm AL Limited F1.8
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm Macro F2.8

As you can see, I gave priority to the lenses that are currently available from Pentax. However, I don't have any of the remaining 6 (D FA 50mm Macro, DA 21mm Limited, DA 70mm Limited, DA 14mm, DA 16-45mm, FA 43mm Limited), so if you'd like to contribute some of your photos, please PM me.

Enjoy, and I'll be adding more of these as time progresses. Let's hope they don't use up the enture bandwidth limit (Seriously, though, I may end up having to move the pics to another server)

Here's a little teaser: one of my DA 50-200mm pics.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-10-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if you could possibly supply a photo of each lens mounted on a camera. It's always nice to see it in relation to the camera.
12-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Great idea; I'll take care of that as well as sample photos soon

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've just added 4 new lenses as well as new camera-mounted photos to each page

Thanks go to Carpents for making the Super Takumar 50mm page!

Adam

12-11-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
Rak
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Great idea; I'll take care of that as well as sample photos soon
Sample photos would be incredibly useful. They would make this forum more useful than dpreview.com.

Also, once this database becomes more comprehensive, perhaps you can even publish it!
12-11-2006, 11:21 PM   #6

Confused

I'm a bit confused by your indication that the lenses being covered first are the currently available models. The FA 80-320 is listed, but the SMC P-FA J 75-300mm F4.5-5.8 AL is not. When I go to Pentax's website they list the latter as a currently available lens, but I find no mention of the former. B & H have the 75-300 at $130; I don't see the FA 80-320. When I checked on kmp.bdimitrov.de they indicate the FA 80-320 was in production through 2002, but the 75-300 is currently in production.

I recently bought a SMC P-FA J 75-300mm F4.5-5.8 AL. (I chose it because it was significantly more compact, as well as lighter, than other available similar range zooms, the Tamron and Sigma 70-300s.) I'd be happy to supply pictures of the lens, and samples of pictures taken through it, if that would be helpful.

Incidentally, from the price, the 80-320 appears to have been a mid-range lens, as opposed to the entry-level 75-300. Mid-range lenses seem to be all too rare these days; most seem to be either entry-level lenses selling in the $100-$250 range or else high specification (or at least would-be high specification) lenses selling in (or at least near) the four-digit plus range.
12-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Great idea!!

Couple suggestions for you - on your "Focal Length" field, I would not add to the confusion by putting the 35mm film equiv FOV here. I would just list the focal length. I would put the FOV difference in the next field. This might help people better understand the whole Crop factor thing.

Also - maybe a section for users to reply about their experiences - there are others like this on the web, but to put it all in one place would be nice. If you could score internal diagrams (like Boz has on his site) for the lenses that would be cool too

12-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Is it me or is the link for the 80-320 really shows a 28-105 on the main picture? The ones below are 80-320.
12-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Not just you

Fixed.

Adam

12-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think I agree that the focal length should just be the focal length - maybe we can have another row for FOV.
Also, what do you feel about having 'Relevant Links' (sort of like at the bottom of a Wikipedia article) for each lens? That way, we can link back to all the excellent lens resources that are scattered throughout the web. Maybe we can even link to some important threads talking about the lenses?

What do you think?
12-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I guess the focal length field is a bit confusing, but there'd bu no point in restating the lenses focal lengh, would there?

So, either we'll keep the filed or just get rid of it completely (or rename it), but no in-betweens...

Relevant links would be nice, and for comments, we should just have a [discuss this lens] link that goes to a specific thread in the forum.

I can't come up with everything, though, so I guess we'll need a submission form for the links.

What do you say?

Adam

12-31-2006, 08:35 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I guess the focal length field is a bit confusing, but there'd bu no point in restating the lenses focal lengh, would there?

So, either we'll keep the filed or just get rid of it completely (or rename it), but no in-betweens...

Get rid of it completely. We can do our own calcs if needed.

Nice database!
12-31-2006, 08:37 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'll consider it.

I'm still in the process of adding new ones, though Once I add all my lenses, I'll work on a more centralized system that's easier to navigate.

Adam

01-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what about the pro film lenses by Pentax?

I'll consider it.

I'm still in the process of adding new ones, though Once I add all my lenses, I'll work on a more centralized system that's easier to navigate.
Hi Adam,

Just referencing the A*, F* or FA* series lenses... they are amazing on the DSLRs of course.

I know they're not made any more, but many of them are the pinnacle of Pentax optical engineering. If you only wish to reference current lenses, I understand.

Would they be better in the equipment reviews section? Thoughts?

Regards,
Marc

PS I must confess: I own 3 FA* lenses...
01-01-2007, 07:19 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'm currently for the lookout for any * lenses...especially A*'s.

Feel free to review yours, but I'll be putting mine on fact sheets for now.

Adam