Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #1

exif data

I noticed that some pics show EXIF at the top of picture I was wondering how do you get that when you upload a pic to this site.

02-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is automatic with attached images - if the information has not been stripped by your editor via the "save for web" option (do not do that). If you link to an external page, such as Photobucket, you get nothing.
02-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It is automatic with attached images - if the information has not been stripped by your editor via the "save for web" option (do not do that). If you link to an external page, such as Photobucket, you get nothing.
Could you explain a little more? Is there another way to attach an image except through and external page or one of my albums here? I've tried both but can't seem to get the EXIF line included with my photos.

On a Mac, for those interested, one way to view EXIF info for pictures posted here is to drag the picture to your desktop and open it in "Preview." Next, under the "Tools" menu item choose "Show Inspector," then in the Inspector window choose the little "i" (for info) at the top, and in there is an EXIF button, which if you select shows everything you'd want to know.
02-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
Could you explain a little more? Is there another way to attach an image except through and external page or one of my albums here? I've tried both but can't seem to get the EXIF line included with my photos.
If you use the upload function in the "Manage Attachments" below the text box here, you will get exif data if it has not already been stripped. That should apply to any location on PF you upload the image to.

If you link to the image on another page, such as Photobucket, you will not get the exif data.

That is how Adam has explained it in the past.

02-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
If you use the upload function in the "Manage Attachments" below the text box here, you will get exif data if it has not already been stripped. That should apply to any location on PF you upload the image to.

If you link to the image on another page, such as Photobucket, you will not get the exif data.

That is how Adam has explained it in the past.
Thank you, I never would have figured that one out.
02-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
EXIF info is available in all three of our uploading facilities (attachments, gallery photos, and album photos). Note that if our system is forced to scale your uploads (attachments & albums), then the EXIF data is stripped. Otherwise, if it was there in the original, it'll automatically show up beside your photo.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: