Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2011, 04:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Marketplace and PayPal Fees

Is it in accordance with marketplace rules to demand that the buyer has to pay PayPal fees? Ebay forbids this (PayPal itself might forbid it, I don't know) and I wonder what the PF rules regarding this matter are.

03-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We currently don't endorse this practice, but since the fee may be referred to as a "handling/convenience fee", we are not going to be forcing people to edit their listings that brand it as a "Paypal fee" as the price won't change anyway. A friendly reminder of the policy by fellow forum members is always in order, however.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the response, Adam. Do you agree the Marketplace rules should be amended?

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We currently don't endorse this practice, but since the fee may be referred to as a "handling/convenience fee", we are not going to be forcing people to edit their listings that brand it as a "Paypal fee" as the price won't change anyway.
Not sure I understand the "price won't change anyway" bit. I believe the PayPal fees are on top of what is asked for a particular item. I don't think in the context of the forum Marketplace a "handling/convenience fee" is appropriate. We are not talking about businesses. If sellers must, they could hide their surcharges in the shipping costs. At the very least, any surcharge should be explicit, i.e., one should not expect the buyer to work out how high a PayPal fee might be.
03-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bury the fees in the cost of my items and simply don't mention them. Stating 3% extra is a way of encouraging a Gift payment. What a buyer should know in that case, is he gives up most if not all protections that Paypal provides on a purchase transaction. After all, the purpose of a Gift transaction is to send money to your kids at college (or similar), not to purchase products. Since you sent money as a Gift, there is no product, hence, no protection from Paypal. Read the terms of service at Paypal for more information.