Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can now delete your own threads, in case you screw something up, posted a duplicate, etc.

Note that this only works if no others have replied. Enjoy the added flexibility!
Is this still true? I am seeing whole threads deleted that had other replies on it, as if the OP can delete threads that has replies.

05-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Is this still true? I am seeing whole threads deleted that had other replies on it, as if the OP can delete threads that has replies.
Yes, it should still be the case. How can you see thread when they are deleted?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Adam, how can I delete my photos in my gallery that do not have a deletion checkbox next to them? That one has puzzled me for a year now. Tx
05-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
have been drinking too much
Count me in...

05-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #20
Pentaxian

So if you ask a question in a thread, and someone takes the time to make a detailed answer, it's not OK if they use your thread to send some one to for referencenext time the issue comes up? I agree with you deleting your thread, but not my answer, which I may have worked a lot harder on than you did on the original question. If that were true I would never answer a question in a thread. I would star a separate thread for answers. You could delete the question.
05-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Adam, how can I delete my photos in my gallery that do not have a deletion checkbox next to them? That one has puzzled me for a year now. Tx
Please start a new thread.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So if you ask a question in a thread, and someone takes the time to make a detailed answer, it's not OK if they use your thread to send some one to for referencenext time the issue comes up? I agree with you deleting your thread, but not my answer, which I may have worked a lot harder on than you did on the original question. If that were true I would never answer a question in a thread. I would star a separate thread for answers. You could delete the question.
Right, that's why people can only delete their own posts and replyless threads. Once somebody takes the time to reply, they can no longer delete it.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, it should still be the case. How can you see thread when they are deleted?
Right, that's why people can only delete their own posts and replyless threads. Once somebody takes the time to reply, they can no longer delete it.
This appears not to be totally true. Examples below.

Let me mention first that if there is something I am interested in retaining, I save the pages, because from experience threads do disappear. That is how I am able to "see the thread when they are deleted".

This first example appears to be totally deleted, maybe by a moderator, even though it had a response from another member other than the original poster:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/224399-sale-sold-pentax-50mm-fa-1-4-lens.html

The next two examples are threads that appear to have been deleted by the original poster that had additional (unfavorable?) responses from other members, but it appears these threads still remain within the system but unaccessible by non-moderators.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224697
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224688

Adam, if you could shed light on these circumstances, it would be most appreciated.

05-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The last two threads were not deleted. They have expired or been withdrawn from the marketplqce.

Adam

05-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The last two threads were not deleted. They have expired or been withdrawn from the marketplace.
Thank you, Adam. So, who can view them, other than the mods or original poster? In the Expired Listings, I only see my threads. Is this normal?
05-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Thank you, Adam. So, who can view them, other than the mods or original poster? In the Expired Listings, I only see my threads. Is this normal?
Right, you can only see your own threads for reference & so you can delete the attachments, if any.

Adam

05-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The last two threads were not deleted. They have expired or been withdrawn from the marketplqce.
And the first was deleted by a moderator because the OP refused to offer a PayPal type payment option.
05-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you, Adam and Parallax, for your helpful explanations.

As you are probably aware, regular members not having a full view of the threads in the Expired Listings is basically the same as having threads with responses deleted, which can lead to fraud. A fraudulent thread can be "hidden".

I'll give an example. There was a member recently trying to sell a lens that he had opened and cleaned, and said so in the following thread (that is now inaccessible to non-moderators):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/219123-sale-t...een-fixed.html

Then, the seller decided otherwise and "deleted" the thread. He then created another thread for the lens, omitting that he had opened the lens. When a watchful member mentioned this fact in a response, that thread also became "deleted" (which is inaccessible to non-moderators):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219164

I cannot determine if this lens was ever offered for sale again in the Marketplace.

I remember in the past, the Expired Listings was fully viewable, but is now inaccessible, removing all accountability.
05-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you, Adam and Parallax, for your helpful explanations.

As you are probably aware, regular members not having a full view of the threads in the Expired Listings is basically the same as having threads with responses deleted, which can lead to fraud. A fraudulent thread can be "hidden".

I'll give an example. There was a member recently trying to sell a lens that he had opened and cleaned, and said so in the following thread (that is now inaccessible to non-moderators):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/219123-sale-t...een-fixed.html

Then, the seller decided otherwise and "deleted" the thread. He then created another thread for the lens, omitting that he had opened the lens. When a watchful member mentioned this fact in a response, that thread also became "deleted" (which is inaccessible to non-moderators):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219164

I cannot determine if this lens was ever offered for sale again in the Marketplace.

I remember in the past, the Expired Listings was fully viewable, but is now inaccessible, removing all accountability.
In the case you state, the seller claims it is not the same lens but a different one and offered to accept a return if a potential buyer felt it had been opened. Is it the same lens? I don't know, but it's dangerous to accuse someone of fraud without more substantial proof.