Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Serial Number Database: New Searching Feature

I've made a small improvement to the Serial Number Database. Now, you'll be able to not only search by serial number within individual items, but also by keyword:

Name:  sn.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  71.4 KB

For example, if you type "Amazon", you'd get all serial numbers that mention amazon in the description or location fields.

Also, you will now be able to filter the main listings by item type (lenses, cameras, or accessories).

Name:  sn2.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  27.6 KB

As a reminder, one forum reputation point is awarded for every serial you add. Reputations points are required in order to obtain Pentaxian status and free Marketplace access.

Enjoy! Visit the database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-12-2011, 03:54 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yet another fine addition Adam.
Thanks for implementing it.
03-14-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why would anybody benefit by knowing my serial numbers? Why would a search of serial numbers be of value to anyone?

Just wondering...
03-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
You should start a thread in general photography for that, or in the dslr section. Fyi lots of users upload their serials anonymously, event though only logged in users can see them anyway.

03-15-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Adam,
Still have no idea the purpose of a serial number database...What do we learn from the serial numbers? Why would I want to search for a serial number? I'm not being a smart alec...I just can't think of any reason to assemble and organize serial numbers and I'm looking to you for explanation. There's no reason to start a different thread in an unrelated place on the forum. I'm not even interested in the general membership opinion. I'm asking YOU as the administrator what the data base of serial numbers means and what it offers to the members of this forum? Why did you elect to start the serial number data base?
03-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
In this case, the membership konws the answer better than I do. If you want to see why it's there from my perspective, check out the original serial database announcement or check the announcement at the top of the database.
03-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Why would anybody benefit by knowing my serial numbers? Why would a search of serial numbers be of value to anyone?

Just wondering...
One example: Lenses and camera bodies with long production runs (think K1000, LX and Takumar lenses as examples) came in various versions (mechanically different or with changes in optical formula) but with no change in their name. The serial number database helps identify the ranges of the various versions. So if you want a K1000 but not the plastic version, you know where to go look for the serial numbers to watch out for. Or if you want an 8 element 50mm F1.4 Takumar, etc.

03-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
...Still have no idea the purpose of a serial number database...What do we learn from the serial numbers? Why would I want to search for a serial number?...
Speaking for myself, I find the serial number database to be a little bit of insurance. If I find a used lens or camera for sale, I can check the serial number database here to see if it's been listed as stolen or damaged. Moreover, if I lose a lens, I can say so in the database in hopes of thwarting a thief's attempt to resell it. Also, it's a good way to save the serial numbers in another place, like backing up my own files. This might be only a small measure of peace of mind, but it helps.
03-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks all.
Kind of expected to hear about defect tracking as in the DA*16-50 or maybe K-5 stains or something.
05-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #10

Great tool. Thanks.
06-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i couldn't find the Takumar A 28mm f2.8 could you add it to the list, please ?
06-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've enabled user uploads temporarily- go ahead and add it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
thank you ! i've done it