Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Best way to prep for upload for contest

Hi

I looked for an answer to this ( I even have a similar post for Pentax Day but not sure of the right answer); although there are lots of questions about contest uploads I didn't see my exact question -- so:

What is the best way to size a picture for upload?

On the Pentax Day photos I just kept squeezing the size with the JPEG Quality slider --- until i got under 1 MB. but the saize for the pictures would be too big for the Spring contest. (3300 by 2500)

I have tried to just downsize my pictures in SilkyPix --but at 'actual size' they look awful. I downsized a few at 1000 for the first measurement ( lengthwise I guess) and the other sizes to about 665. So I go from a 3934 x 2624 JPEG, to a 1000 x 665 JPEG, which comes out about 561.x KB. (half a megabyte so plenty of room...).

But the pictures look awful at actual size

In a similar vein -- I'd like to add a review of the DA L 55-300 I just bought -- and I'd like to add some shots. The same applies--resizing to 1000x665 gets me a crappy shot at actual size. I'm sure the same procedure for posting pictures to the review would hold as posting to the Spring contest??

many thanks for the time...

Suggestions?

Last edited by smilinpig; 03-12-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Additional question :)
03-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I resize to 1200 long side at the most. Then do a very slight sharpen. After this I upload the shots and the forum makes them look soft and yucky. :-(
03-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I resize to 1200 long side at the most. Then do a very slight sharpen. After this I upload the shots and the forum makes them look soft and yucky. :-(
That's because you're exceeding the maximum width (unless you use the gallery, in which case there is no limit) and our resizing script penalizes your upload with a 75% jpeg compression.

The maximum width is 1024px. Resize to that and you'll be fine.

In photoshop, I believe the command to resize is alt+shift+i.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-13-2011, 04:31 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Best prep for upload

Thanks Adam...I'll try that...

And thanks rparmar for responding...I can see why your pics get 'fuzzy' with that 75% 'compression penalty'...now you know :-)

SP

03-13-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's because you're exceeding the maximum width (unless you use the gallery, in which case there is no limit) and our resizing script penalizes your upload with a 75% jpeg compression.

The maximum width is 1024px. Resize to that and you'll be fine.
Ah. Thanks for that. My memory is just too fallible sometimes.
03-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
Forum Member

not sure if this will help anyone but I just use Photo Gadget resize,it`s a free download off the web ...simple for a simple person like me...lol
03-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Picasa's export option prompts you to resize. You can check the re-sized version in your Picasa Exports folder and add some sharpening if you desire. Picasa is free also.