Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Site Performance Improved!

I've found a few bottlenecks in our system and made some optimizations, resulting in a 1-second speedup in page generation time, which means that all forum pages will now load at least a second faster than they did before.

I also made some front-end changes which should speed up loading further. Note: if you're not seeing any forum dropdowns, as a result of this change, hit control+F5. Enjoy!

Before and after:

Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Adam. I presume you're referring to Internet Explorer on a Windows PC, when you advise to hit control+F5. If so, then others might like to know what to do if they use another browser and/or Operating System (changing to Windows and IE won't be an acceptable option, I suspect). I use a variety of Operating Systems and web browsers, but I'm unfamiliar with that shortcut, so a description of what it does might be handy for the rest of the world.
Rob
03-18-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Basically, it means reloading the page and clearing it from IE's cache.
03-18-2011, 01:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by -Mous- Quote
Basically, it means reloading the page and clearing it from IE's cache.
Thanks, Mous. I usually just hit the reload button, regardless of browser, but maybe CTRL-F5 does something else, as well.

03-18-2011, 01:35 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
CTRL-F5
The it differs from a regular refresh in that all elements on the page are cleared from cache and fresh copies are requested. Normal refreshes only update the page itself.

If you look at the screenshot above, items with status 304 are cached and only refreshed every week or so unless you force it using control+f5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-18-2011, 02:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Mac OS X, the keyboard shortcuts for Safari and Camino are both the same - cmd+R.
03-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks heaps Adam! This feels like a noticeable improvement!

A Ctrl-F5 replacement on many browsers is to click on the "Reload" button while keeping the "Shift" key pressed.

03-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #8

Ctrl-F5 works well with Fedora 14 (Linux) operating system and Mozilla FireFox browser.

Thanks for the Forum.

03-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #9

Loving the page load speed
03-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No improvement here... when I click on forum tools, it pushes the page to the bottom. Control F5 does nothing. IE8 and XP with service pack 3.
03-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Now it's working again - thanks.