Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
updates on gallery

Adam et al;

In the monthly photo challenge "social group", we're having a problem. We've resorted to using a thread for each member into which that member post links to his photos. We do this so that other members of the challenge can get notifications when there's a new image or comment on an image. Meanwhile, most of us are simply linking pics from our own galleries. The galleries themselves attract comments of course, and overall there's a good deal of duplication of effort and we still haven't eliminated missed images and comments.

Can the gallery be modified to allow for functionality similar to that in flickr, where you can get notifications on new images in selected galleries, and for new comments as well?

Thanks as always!

03-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That sounds like a cool idea!

For now, the best way to browse the latest comments is via this page:

Newest Comments - PentaxForums Exclusive Gallery - Pentax User Photo Gallery

replace the 36 with the category id of the category you want to track.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Those are some *damn* good photos! So what's the ID to use to bring in everybody's "Single in March" galleries, can that be done? Or should we have one joint gallery, perhaps?
03-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Those aren't actually part of the gallery. What you can do there is click on all albums, then run a search for single in march. Everyone's albums will then appear in a nice list.

As far as comments go, users should already be getting notifications when they are posted!

03-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Those aren't actually part of the gallery. What you can do there is click on all albums, then run a search for single in march. Everyone's albums will then appear in a nice list.

As far as comments go, users should already be getting notifications when they are posted!
I see. Thanks, Adam.
03-22-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
WWIFA's made a suggestion to modernize the social group thread capabilities to bring them in line with the main forum. This would help, but can it be achieved?

"Why aren't the threads in the group the same as out here in the forum? If their was an attachment option in the group threads a person could just upload directly to their own thread from their computer bypassing the albums and any external site. It seems like that would be simple and no worries about space requirements. Technically not possible?"

The social group forum thread capabilities are a bit dated. You can't highlight text to quote it, you don't see the same info on the poster, etc. Can they be bumped up to the technical level of the main forums?
03-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Possibly, but probably not. For some reason, the social group systen uses an entirely different architecture than the main forums. There is a way to make each group have its own individual forum, but I don't think that would be good for performance.

If you'd like to see the quick quote feature added, though, that should certainly be doable! I'll take a look at it tonight.
03-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Possibly, but probably not. For some reason, the social group systen uses an entirely different architecture than the main forums. There is a way to make each group have its own individual forum, but I don't think that would be good for performance.

If you'd like to see the quick quote feature added, though, that should certainly be doable! I'll take a look at it tonight.
I understand. Thanks for your attention!

03-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've looked into the possibility of having dedicated forums for social groups, and while it's doable, I don't have the time to play with it at the moment. The stock modifications already out there have some quirks which would do more harm than good in our case. You can read my comments on that here: vBulletin.org Forum - View Single Post - SocialForums for vB3.8

More importantly, this facility would only be available to large groups (>75 members) anyway, adding an element of inconsistency, which is also not something we want.

I'll be looking into adding the quick-quote system to the social groups at this time, as it should be too hard.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again!
03-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It should be working now. Why we're at it, do you have any other frontend (template) changes you'd like to see?

Adam

03-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Um .. well, do the posts to social groups count against your overall count of posts? I suspect they don't, but they are reported in the social group profile on every post.
03-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No they don't, as they're not part of the main forum.

Adam

03-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see. Do they count against "private messages", then? I'm trying to figure out how I managed to get well into the 400 count on those... ;^)
03-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Adam, I'm using the select-to-quote trick in the social group forum threads but it seems to be picking up the wrong username. E.g. this. I'd selected text from a post by Eddie1960.

Oops, here's another.

And two more.

I think it's taking the name of the first poster to that page of comments in each case.

Last edited by uccemebug; 03-23-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: found more instances