Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't find auto translate a useful forum feature

"Stains can be Viella months after facing the cell. Probably depends on how much time is described in relation to + - 2000 files begins in view. In fact, I wonder polly this sensitivity, for example, the K20D does not become pöllyä even photographed for 3 years and swapped between the lenses several times a day. At the end was, admittedly, an automatic vibration on site. "

The above is a quote I just copied from the k5 forum. Never mind the context, but I challenge anyone not Finnish to tell me what it sais!

I find a lot of posts like that in the forums, at it makes me feel sad for the people who obviously do not feel confident about writing English, but get the (false) impression that they can communicate anyway by using the translate feature. If they are from some language I have a BIT of knowledge of (French, German, Scandinavian other than Finnish), I sometimes try to patch the google-holes a bit.

I think people would do SO much better just writing the best English they can, bad grammar and all, than hitting translate and thinking they get their message across. They would even get some practise with their English that way. English is not my own language either, but it is useful for international communication even if you make mistakes.

Maybe one day auto translators will evolve to the point of usefulness - I just don't think they are there yet.

04-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I totally agree (on every point that you have made); I think the forum would be better off without its translator.

English is not my native language either. I'm dutch and I dropped English as a subject at highschool as soon as could; I hated the language with a passion. How could I know that I ended up with an English speaking girlfriend, living in an english speaking country (okay, one of the eleven official languages) and even nowadays think in english and not in dutch?
04-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree - drop the translator.

The Finnish translations are the funniest.
04-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

English - So horrible it's endearing. So pervasive it's mandatory.

Beautiful!

04-13-2011, 03:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Tahroja voi tulla viellä kuukausia jälkeenkinpäin kennoon. Riippuu varmaan kuinka paljon kuvataan suhteessa aikaan + - 2000 kuvaa alkaa jo näkymään. Itse ihmettelen tätä pölly herkkyyttä, ei esimerkiksi K20D tullut pöllyä vaikka kuvasin 3 vuotta ja välillä vaihdoin linssejä montakin kertaa päivässä. Loppuaikana oli tosin automaatti tärytys päällä."

The translated text did not make much sense, even knowing what the un-tanslated words meant.
This is a pretty accurate translation of that text.

Stains can develop months later. Seems to depend on actual operation time, ie 2000 or shots later the stains can show up.
I wonder about the sensitivity to dust pick up. My K20 did not have a dust issue, even after 3 years of shooting and constant lens changes. Admittedly, I did have the dust-removal turned on towards the end.
04-13-2011, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I definitely hate the translation system as well. But I have to admit that the poster who's probably in question has a tendency to include typos, wrongly formed words, omitted words and so on in Finnish too and often the sentences lack a proper form and punctuation. Of course native Finnish speakers can usually decipher the content, but it's no wonder the translation system gives confusing results.

But having said that, I truly, really hate the autotranslation. It does its best to mess the message. And also, if I want to for example find Finnish price information of a certain Pentax product and Google it and have results filtered for Finnish language websites, the darn Google brings me PF links that are translated into this gibberish-Finnish.
04-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Well, for me the translator is annoying also, tried to use it like once and then decided that I'll better practise my English. And there are vocabularys all over the world and internet which You just can use simply A vocbulary has become my best friend
04-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
.................. But I have to admit that the poster who's probably in question has a tendency to include typos, wrongly formed words, omitted words and so on in Finnish too and often the sentences lack a proper form and punctuation. Of course native Finnish speakers can usually decipher the content, but it's no wonder the translation system gives confusing results.
That's a great point.

I wunder how this sentenc wood translate ti Finnish.

04-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Originally posted by Raffwal*
.................. But I have to admit that the poster who's probably in question has a tendency to include typos, wrongly formed words, omitted words and so on in Finnish too and often the sentences lack a proper form and punctuation. Of course native Finnish speakers can usually decipher the content, but it's no wonder the translation system gives confusing results.
That's a great point.

I wunder how this sentenc wood translate ti Finnish.
To Estonian it translated pretty funny.