Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
soliciting opinions on "post your photos" forum tweak

I asked Adam to add thumbnails to this forum which he did, very speedily might I add. So I'm just soliciting opinions to see what you think!

link: Post your photos! - PentaxForums.com

04-15-2011, 04:36 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the idea Nass - at a glance look at the PYP images, but as they are, the images appearing on the page are too large, making it slower to download and end up squashing the text to the right of the screen - anything less than a 1200px or so wide screen would need to scroll to see the text.

I'd suggest thumbnails created by the forum's compression system to limit filesize and image dimensions for ease of browsing.
04-15-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, the download time is considerable, so it's making the forums slow....
04-15-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the icons are too large. Perhaps if they were the size of the Gallery main page. I have to say that I didn't mind the all-text presentation, because it was possible to scan quickly through the long list on each page for potentially interesting entries.

04-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My load up speed seems to be fine but I find the icons too distracting. They can't be seen all that well and the number of threads per page is so much smaller that I think threads will get lost a lot sooner. How many of us actually go as far back as page 3 to read threads? Not many I fear.
04-15-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I must agree with Rense, Tamia and Susan, and if you are going to make it smaller, you might just as well not have it at all, which I would prefer.
04-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
... the number of threads per page is so much smaller that I think threads will get lost a lot sooner. How many of us actually go as far back as page 3 to read threads? Not many I fear.
This is a good point, Susan. There are so many contributions to the Post Your Photos section that even with the text-only presentation, recent submissions disappeared into previous pages rather quickly. Now it will happen even more quickly, especially because some people post several individual photos at a time in separate threads, rather than nest them in one thread.

04-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Weird, I find it a lot easier to use. When the list of threads is just text I don't bother looking at any because it just takes too long to go in and out of 50. With thumbs I know what I'll like and actually go look at it. YMMV.
04-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
especially because some people post several individual photos at a time in separate threads, rather than nest them in one thread.
I've noticed that for a while now and I am actually surprised that nobody mentioned it before. Maybe there should be a limit on how many threads a member can start in that section per day?
04-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Now it will happen even more quickly, especially because some people post several individual photos at a time in separate threads, rather than nest them in one thread.
Yeah, that is annoying. However, I found that in long PYP threads (my 50+ image Celebrity Graves, for example), the first page repeats on the next page, which makes it somewhat cumbersome. I moved it to a "thematic" thread that works better.

I liked another forum (which I have mostly abandoned) because there were fewer individual image threads, and the images went into related threads - People, Sports, Birds, etc.

Makes it much easier for locate images, and more streamlined.
04-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, you guys are right. Now the thumbnails are created locally! If you want to narrow photos by type, you can use the prefix filter option.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: