Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #61
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a nice change.

As a side-note, I rather like the way "Yahoo! Answers" and some other sites shows both a count of thumbs-up and thumbs-down. Tho that is on any one post not cumulative, and I also know that certainly doesn't work here as only a tiny minority of thread posts get a click on that sort of link; just like it.

So what you have now I think is quite a good way to gauging the 'respect' a poster garners.

07-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
So what you have now I think is quite a good way to gauging the 'respect' a poster garners.
Hmm, good point. We could have "xxx posts | xxx likes | xxx people ignore this user". 8^P
07-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Hmm, good point. We could have "xxx posts | xxx likes | xxx people ignore this user". 8^P
i didn't even know the ignore option existed until you pointed it out to me (useful that)
07-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
BTW Falk you are now ranked number 3 behind Rio Rico. not a slight on Rico since he provides valuable info as well, but i do believe you should rank higher based on what you bring to the forum for knowledge
I quite agree. I am nowhere in Falk's league. I am embarrassed that he ranks lower than I -- neither deserves this. Benjikan provides superb input as well. I am good at summarizing existing knowledge, that's all. That comes from my tech.writer history. Their posts about the REAL WORLD are much more valuable IMHO. "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." I'm the latter.

ObJoke: Back in my commercial-financial computer codemonkey days was a slogan: "Those who can, program. Those who can't program, manage. Those who can't manage, manage programmers." And that's why your bills are messed up.

Last edited by RioRico; 07-18-2011 at 07:35 PM.
07-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #65
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
For the record ...

My score dropped from some 408 (highest after Adam) to 157 and I am now a "journeyman" (others now are the "experts" ).

I seem to have earned more likes from experienced users which doesn't matter anymore with the new system. So, IMHO we went from the Google rank system back to the Altavista rank system; or from quality to quantity. Because many posts will create many likes (sort of). That may be ok and the desired effect but I would prefer a motivation to write better articles rather than more.

Some articles can require days of preparation but may not receive many likes if the topic isn't the hot topic of today. Still, more experienced users could help rank the article high. Not anymore with the current system.
Who would want to read anything that does not interest them. That is an inane argument. Maybe the Site Admins can simply open a new Forum, exclusively used by "more experienced users"... to talk in the company of themselves

Personally, of what I've read here, the most knowledgeable poster that participates in the threads that interests me is Rio Rico....

and for the rest of it, we have Google...
07-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
and for the rest of it, we have Google...
  1. Google uses a "weighted likes" system. You couldn't say "we have Google" if it used the new, simple "Like" system.
  2. Your statement could be rephrased to "Who needs power stations? I get my electricity from power sockets in the wall.". Who do you think produces the content that Google can find?
Adam has introduced a lot of new good features and deserves a big pat on the back for these. The move from a weighted "reputation" system to an unweighted one wasn't necessary though and, I agree with others, was a step back.
07-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Really, though, I'd be happy without this system entirely.
Yeah I haven't decided whether I like likes. I certainly don't pay any attention to how many I or anyone else has gotten.

07-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Really, though, I'd be happy without this system entirely. But it doesn't bug me that it is here. I suppose I just don't get the psychology of it.
and
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Yeah I haven't decided whether I like likes. I certainly don't pay any attention to how many I or anyone else has gotten.
I'm with Robin and Dave. In other forums where the Like (or Karma, or Reputation, or Thanks) system is used, it seems to me that it doesn't really do anything at all, so I ignore it most of the time, unless I see a really exceptional post, or a really "bad" one. The thing about any of these systems is that they are, I think, completely unnecessary.