Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Img wide tag not working

Awhile back, the img tall tag was rendered defunct. Now, the img wide tag is not working. Last time, I had to manually fix every image post I had made. It is a big problem to find them all, and there are many images. Img wide is very handy because it has a smallish initial size, but can be clicked on to open larger for more detail.

I'd hate to see it go.

07-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's been re-designed (I'm planning on posting a how-to guide later on).

The tag itself is rendered obsolete by the fact that all images are globally constrained to 1024px by default, unless you change your profile setting. What this tag will allow you to do is blow images up even if you have a relatively small limit.

It takes two parameters- the URL to the full image, and a thumb version. The full image should be 1500px wide at most. See it here: PentaxForums.com - BB Code List

[imgwide=https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/1/1_IMGP6392.JPG]https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/1/large/1_IMGP6392.JPG[/imgwide]

Example:

[imgwide=https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/1/1_IMGP6392.JPG]https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/1/large/1_IMGP6392.JPG[/imgwide]

As an added bonus, if you embed multiple images using this method, you'll be able to cycle through them using your scrollwheel. If this breaks the old tags, then what we'll do is revert those tags and call these something else, as nobody has probably discovered them yet!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
m8o
Veteran Member

Isn't your 1024px image statement only valid for images hosted on your forum?

Regarding the change, but then every prior post using imgwide will now show the image in full rez? My last thread I posted on in linked to an image 1,793px × 1,200px and that's what's now displaying. ... I guess I changed a default? Off to look for that.

Why not invent a new tag that has new behavior but leave imgwide doing what it had?
07-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No no- the image resizing applies to all images, no matter where they're hosted. Since you've been around for a while, though, you probably have the resizing disabled in your profile.

The new tag for wide images is [ fancybox ] usable as I've described above.the old tag has been restored, so that old images don't get screwed up.

07-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

I see. I found that setting and changed it to 800. I did tho continue to see the large imgwide tagged photos in max rez after that setting change. Tho I won't sweat it. Just wanted to share my observation in this latest post. Thanx for the info.
07-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry, Adam I can't follow your posts or suggestions above. Are you going to make img wide work again, or must we fix all our posts?

All I know is my images are, on my monitor, now about 8 inches wide (instead of 5) and people complain about them in the lens sample page. I've deleted them and responded to Ash's PM about it.

It was a hassle tracking down all my images last time when img tall got killed. I really don't want to do it all, and considerably more, again.

My account size settings are (now) 900 H and 800 V (was 1100x900), but it seems to have no effect on linked images.

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-26-2011 at 06:01 PM.
07-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yeah the imgwide tag is back, and the new tag I discussed above has been renamed to fancybox.

So here are two examples:

1. [imgwide]https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/1/1_IMGP4900.JPG[/imgwide]

2. [fancybox=https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/1/1_IMGP4900.JPG]https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/1/medium/1_IMGP4900.JPG[/fancybox]

1. Imgwide

2. Fancybox

Click on the image to open gallery

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seems to be good Adam, so existing IMGWIDE tags will still work, but fancybox will reduce their sizes further for smaller thumbnails... Good for multiple photos to present.
Thanks for the addition.
07-27-2011, 12:36 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Right. The only thing with the fancybox tag is you need to have a thumbnail version available. If you don't, it defeats the purpose of the tag as the large image would be pre-loaded.
07-27-2011, 01:09 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is this not also the case for IMGWIDE images? It would be great if the forum performed a compression on tagged images to fit the screen.
07-27-2011, 02:08 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Imgwide limits width to 640px, but it's still not a great idea to rely on them to embed oversized files. As a rule of thumb, anything over 1mb should be linked to (or, now that we have the new fancybox, embedded using that method).
07-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Eh, OK. So imgwide limits the size but does not allow clicking on it for the larger size, and fancybox works like the old imgwide with a smaller thumbnail and a second file.
07-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Though I can't think of a good reason why for web viewing fancyboxing to a large image file would be very worthwhile.
07-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

With this thumbnail way of posting images, I am not seeing automatic VIEW PICTURE EXIF link with the pictures.

For something like the Lens Sample Photo Archive section etc, this is useful and one does not have to type out that information. Is there a way to make the EXIF link come up automatically.
07-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Though I can't think of a good reason why for web viewing fancyboxing to a large image file would be very worthwhile.
So you can look at details.

QuoteQuote:
With this thumbnail way of posting images, I am not seeing automatic VIEW PICTURE EXIF link with the pictures.
This was never available for linked images.

QuoteQuote:
For something like the Lens Sample Photo Archive section etc, this is useful and one does not have to type out that information. Is there a way to make the EXIF link come up automatically.
I tend to agree here but peepers can PM the poster for details, if they are really interested. As a "linker", I find "attachments" to be a nuisance, frankly.