Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Drop in Marketplace?

I am a guy like to keep looking the selling posts in marketplace... that's where i can know more different lenses and accessories of Pentax. Recently, I see the activities in marketplace which is decreasing. No much sold/reply posts as last 2 months...... most of the sellers need to wait for long time/lower price to sell their lens and camera. I have few lenses want to sell, but it seems not that easy to let them go with a reasonable price.

08-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've bought two lenses and a K20D Screen past two months - but done it via PM's only. I'm just not a fan of 'pm sent' or 'me too' posts.. *shrug*...

I haven't got feedback yet (1 item received and checked off, 2 still in transit) and not sure but all the threads where still 'open' last I looked.. so maybe its just that people are doing more private transactions and a bit slow to update.

Also - "Reasonable Price" is always open to interpretation isn't it... I was happy with what I paid - and I'm fairly sure the sellers were as well because they sold them and shipped them
08-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's summer and a lot of people are off doing other things besides looking at ads for stuff. Also, let's face it a lot of people can't afford extra gear right now and a lot of people are selling their extra gear off for the same reason. If you can afford it there's a lot out there to be had actually. A lot of "virtual" garage sales going on, and not just here.

The other thing is the prices. Sometimes they are a bit high in the Marketplace compared to other places. You can still find a good deal sometimes. I got a great one on my kit lens for instance recently, but lenses that were going for much lesser sums even a year ago have really increased in price on resale and I think people are holding off buying a bit because of it. Thinking a bit more about what they really want and can afford rather than just splurging on whatever.

Prices on some things are very close to new and most people I think weigh that and decide to buy new so they can at least have a warranty. I have less qualms in terms of condition about buying things here than on say Ebay but a lot of the time I will admittedly look at a listing for something I might be interested in and then find I can actually get it brand new for the same or for only slightly more elsewhere. I do like to save a few bucks when I can but when I can go to Amazon and buy the same item new for about same money and not pay shipping a lot of the time besides? I usually have to rethink that first impulse towards purchase used.

When I was looking for a 300MM AF zoom I really looked all over for comparative pricing. What I found consistently was the same good used lenses at KEH that were usually priced less than here. I wanted the 55-300 but decided that wasn't in my budget for now. I also finally decided I wanted a black lens because I am not really into putting a silver one on my K-x. After doing much reading I picked up a black Sigma lens with decent reviews finally for $64 from KEH and FYI, that was about $35 less than I had seen that same lens advertised elsewhere, including here.

I don't really have too much wiggle room in my budget really. I had to find the best black bodied AF lens I could manage for the least amount of money. Even so I'll likely be selling off my Tamron 28-200mm or a few other manual lenses to make up for the purchase.

There are a lot of people who are struggling right now. I'm not alone in having to make some tough choices in terms of my buying and selling I don't think. It's not like my phone is ringing off the hook with job offers lately, and in the end? I'd rather make sure I can pay my rent than buy a lot more in terms of lenses. There are always more lenses out there to be bought later when I am more able to afford them.

I actually needed the 70-300MM AF lens that I bought. I still have to pay the piper now though and find a way to pay the bill for it when it comes and likely that will mean selling off things I'd probably not sell otherwise because most of the people buying seem to be very picky and very thrifty right now about what they're buying and what they are likely to pay.

In a good economy people will often buy up, spend more than they absolutely need to just for the sake of convenience, but not in one like this. With things being as shaky as they are money-wise they're going to look around a lot more now and buy on the cheap as much as they can. That makes selling anything a real crap shoot unfortunately...
08-02-2011, 03:38 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Traffic in the marketplace is higher if anything. However, we've been bringing down the hammer on people making price comments. It is not necessary to reply when an item is sold- instead, people simply click on the "mark as sold link" and the system takes care of it

Also note that all threads in the marketplace are auto-pulled after 90 days if there are no replies and the item isn't sold.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
I've bought two lenses and a K20D Screen past two months - but done it via PM's only. I'm just not a fan of 'pm sent' or 'me too' posts.. *shrug*...

I haven't got feedback yet (1 item received and checked off, 2 still in transit) and not sure but all the threads where still 'open' last I looked.. so maybe its just that people are doing more private transactions and a bit slow to update.
Yes, you are right, it could be a lot of hidden PM which i did not see on Marketplace.
Your two orders still in transit and you got the confimation from sellers already in last 2 months? If yes... that's really a long wait deal.
08-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote

Prices on some things are very close to new and most people I think weigh that and decide to buy new so they can at least have a warranty. I have less qualms in terms of condition about buying things here than on say Ebay but a lot of the time I will admittedly look at a listing for something I might be interested in and then find I can actually get it brand new for the same or for only slightly more elsewhere. I do like to save a few bucks when I can but when I can go to Amazon and buy the same item new for about same money and not pay shipping a lot of the time besides? I usually have to rethink that first impulse towards purchase used.

When I was looking for a 300MM AF zoom I really looked all over for comparative pricing. What I found consistently was the same good used lenses at KEH that were usually priced less than here. I wanted the 55-300 but decided that wasn't in my budget for now. I also finally decided I wanted a black lens because I am not really into putting a silver one on my K-x. After doing much reading I picked up a black Sigma lens with decent reviews finally for $64 from KEH and FYI, that was about $35 less than I had seen that same lens advertised elsewhere, including here.
this is my observation as well. While I have seen some very good deals i just can't afford at the moment (heartbreakingly in one case as I really want it and it's exactly what i have been looking for), i do find many other prices are just too close to retail to appeal to me on the newer items i am looking at, I'd rather pay the 8-12% more and have the warranty to be quite honest in these cases now that Canadian pricing has mostly come in line with the US
KEH is also an amazing used resource where I find I can safely buy something labelled BGN and be pretty sure it's in a lot better shape than they rate it at (and they back things up quite well from a return standpoint though i've yet to return anything i got there)
08-03-2011, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Traffic in the marketplace is higher if anything. However, we've been bringing down the hammer on people making price comments.
Guilty
I'll learn eventually

08-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
It's summer and a lot of people are off doing other things besides looking at ads for stuff. Also, let's face it a lot of people can't afford extra gear right now and a lot of people are selling their extra gear off for the same reason.

That’s the real real situation today. You just remind me the reality of US nowadays.
Some of the sellers like to set up the price close to New Item, it may make buyers stay away/some will work on the price with tiny space. My problem is …. Buying too many used lenses when I just got my k-x… Finally, I found out too many lenses for 1 camera. I still can survive with the budget I spent, but I like to clear some stocks for extra money for my rent/gas/phone bills. It seems the good time of selling & buying which is tax return period, I may extend my sales.

By the way, Keh.com is a good place for getting used lenses, but not selling to them (only my opinion). I may see some good deals there sometime.
08-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenneth3aracing Quote

\]By the way, Keh.com is a good place for getting used lenses, but not selling to them (only my opinion). I may see some good deals there sometime.
[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

It's never good to trade in at a retailer, basically you can expect half or less of the price they will sell at after all they are in business to make money