Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Forum/topic Titles: Uncomfortable Font sizes

Hi folks

some odd font size choices in the new forum layouts...

1] list of sub-forums uses a font that is too large

Pentax Photography & Camera Forum - PentaxForums.com

2] ... and the list of topic titles in sub-forum uses a font that is too small

Pentax K-5 Forum - PentaxForums.com

3] Also I've noticed that Members names are randomly ... normal, bold and italic

4] the voice bubble link which displays a thumbs up and the number of liked posts on the topic list is too big compared to Topic title

All these 4 points add up to a graphical mess and makes the forum look amateurish.

08-03-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the record, I tried changing the body font to 13px, but it didn't look better. I think the new look is very professional, but if you don't like it, you're welcome to use one of the old skins.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm only trying to help from a Graphic Design POV. Just saying... "if you don't like it then ....." is not very helpful.

You have a 16 px font as titles for the sub forums, a 12px font for the titles of the threads and the font for the posts are 14px. When navigating through the forum this looks unbalanced and uncomfortable on the eye. A professional Graphic designer wouldn't do this.

The overall new look as more fresh and modern but IMO needs some tweaks. I'm only trying to help.
08-05-2011, 03:25 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The new skin was designed by one of the best designers in the business

If you have any specific suggestions forum the threadbit titles, I can try them out. I've tried a 13px font, however, and that ended up looking out of balance.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The new skin was designed by one of the best designers in the business

If you have any specific suggestions forum the threadbit titles, I can try them out. I've tried a 13px font, however, and that ended up looking out of balance.
What looks the most unbalanced is looking at the main forum page, the list of sub-forum titles at 16px, then clicking on a dub-forum and seeing the smaller thread titles in comparison. The 13px for the thread titles is better than the 12px

I'm not inexperienced with this ..... My own forum...

http://www.smeggys.co.uk/

.... is all my own work. The red skin on this forum is not dissimilar to my Smeggy's forum skin so we're are thinking along the same lines here.

btw - If your'e using Firefox then the add on 'Web Developer 1.1.9' is most helpful.
08-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yeah, I bumped up the font size for just the titles and it seems to work well.

Our new design uses the web 2.0 philosophy, which yours doesn't. It's a completely different school of though and might take some time to get used to by those of us who've been dabbling in web stuff for a while, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Adam

08-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

web 2.0 philosophy
Na, It can't be - I haven't seen a single Mashup anywhere, theres a distinct lack of Ajax and no Flash to be seen

(Don't worry - I am just giving you crap regarding the 'cliched' elements of web 2.0 )
08-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I bumped up the font size for just the titles and it seems to work well.
Yup, much better.

QuoteQuote:
Our new design uses the web 2.0 philosophy, which yours doesn't. It's a completely different school of though and might take some time to get used to by those of us who've been dabbling in web stuff for a while, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.
"web 2.0 philosophy" - LOL. - I don't get suckered by Psychobabble - it either looks right or it doesn't.

I didn't need time to get used to the new skin for the elements that graphically worked. As I said, it all pretty much worked, It's just the size of some elements ( the font sizes ) that were unbalanced.

You've fixed it now.