Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2011, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens Reviews: New Rating Feature

I'm happy to announce the addition of categorized ratings to our lens and camera databases!

Now, when you post a review, you will be able to assign various sub-ratings in addition to the overall product rating. For lenses, the fields are as follows:

Sharpness
Aberrations
Bokeh
Autofocus
Handling
Value

The fields vary based on product, i.e. manual lenses don't have the autofocus field. They are available for all Pentax lenses, for all Sigma and Tamron lenses currently in production, and for all Pentax DSLRs. We may introduce them in more categories later on.

The fields will be required for all new reviews, and can be populated for your current reviews via the edit page (note that with the extra fields filled out, your review could get more likes, resulting in higher placement in the review listings!).

The bars at the top of the page are refreshed once an hour, so don't be surprised if your review doesn't affect the ratings right away

Demo:

Sigma 18-125mm F3.8-5.6 DC OS HSM Lens Reviews - Current Zoom Lenses - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Screenshot:

Name:  ratings.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  61.7 KB

Enjoy! I hope this will make the review section even more helpful than it already is.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Great stuff. Thanks...
08-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Adam, I edited my FA 50/1.4 review and provided values for all the sub-ratings.

However, they don't seem to appear anywhere?

When I edited the review again to attempt another submission, I noticed that all sub-rating values had been lost (only the overall rating had been retained).

Is something broken or will it just take a while till the sub-ratings make it to the front page?
It seems odd, though, that all sub-ratings values are reset when I edit the review again.

N.B.: The last contribution for the Sigma 28/1.8 EX is not a review (a user is looking for recommendations). How should such entries be reported? There is no "report" facility.

Last edited by Class A; 08-08-2011 at 03:02 PM.
08-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Your edits should propagate within an hour- see the first post in this thread

I'll fix the lost ratings bug, as it's probably a minor issue. Was this in the Pentax lens database?

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
N.B.: The last contribution for the Sigma 28/1.8 EX is not a review (a user is looking for recommendations). How should such entries be reported? There is no "report" facility.
It's found at the top of the page, beside the ratings.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'll fix the lost ratings bug, as it's probably a minor issue. Was this in the Pentax lens database?
Yes, as it was a FA 50/1.4 review.

I just added sub-ratings to my Sigma 28/1.8 EX review and the sub-ratings were reset as well when I re-edited the review.

Thanks for the hint regarding reporting non-reviews. I have reported the entry.
08-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'm not sure why the sub ratings aren't being filled out- for me they seem to work everywhere but in the camera database. I will continiue investigating this and hopefully find the source of the problem- thanks for bringing it up
08-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Ok, it should re resolved now- turned out to be a bug in the core software. Please verify that everything works as it should

Adam

08-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Ok, it should re resolved now- turned out to be a bug in the core software. Please verify that everything works as it should
Just checked by reentering my sub-ratings again.
Bug fixed.

I don't see the sub-ratings in my individual reviews, only the overall rating is displayed. I guess that's as designed? Would make sense to see sub-ratings per review, wouldn't it? I justed added mine to the text for now.
08-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
They should appear alongside there review as well as affect the main score:
Attached Images

Adam

08-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great
08-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #11
Forum Member

*cough* boke *cough*
08-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #12

Thanks Adam!
08-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice and well needed feature Adam!

However I think it would be even better if there was a feature to compare lenses
08-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now *that's* what I'm talking about.
Thanks for the addition, Adam... what I'd been hoping for for a more accurate and reliable user review scoring system.
08-10-2011, 05:22 AM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
With the new pagination system I see that it can be a bit hard to locate all your reviews (a brief list is found in your profile), so I will be sending out emails with edit links for everyone's reviews to make things easier

Adam