Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Interesting that you have those metrics readily available. I wonder, not how accurate, but how pertinent they are. A coupl'a things occur to me in that regard.

Users of old MF lenses that are computer savvy may not be relying on key word searches as much as the average bear. "Adaptall-ism" is a pretty narrow field and not likely to attract the novice or the dilettante that might rely more on scatter-gun or key word searches. I wonder if duration of visit and repeat hits are more revealing than key word hits. I spend a fair percentage of my own PF time in Adaptall topics but doubt I've ever used the search function there.

(There might be an interesting poll in determining in which forums members use the search function.)

The Adaptall web presence is fairly concentrated and generally well cross-referenced within the the articles pertinent to the subject which would tend to minimize raw searches with key words. Just one google search on the word Adaptall gets you to the majority of the useful items.

Seems to me like most of the queries are either about cost vs. relative IQ among similar lenses which fits the reviews section, or functionality and potential repairs which falls within the Articles/FAQs format.

It would be enlightening to learn how much traffic the Adaptall topics attract from a web-wide base. As Velocina says, this seems to be one of a very few web resources with this scope and depth on the subject. It's nice to see it wearing a Pentax banner, especially when it could be equally at home on any other photography forum.

H2

08-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #17

Another link for you...

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Thank you for your comments and the reference page link, Velocina.

Adaptall lens users are welcome everywhere.

H2
Adaptall lens users like me are not completly welcome in italian Leica Forum, where all non-Leica stuff is often seen like "trash"...
... so I bring my Adaptall-2 lenses apart and go happy to Pentaxforum in the Adaptall users section...

I found another link may be useful and I'm thinking to produce by myself a table of the internal measures of the square section Tamron's lens cases, the black ones whith the code Lxx visible on the bottom (where xx is a two digit number), in order to help anyone to select the suitable lens case for every Adaptall-2 lens.
I've never found a cross-reference table lens/lens case.

The attached link is a cross-reference between lens/lens hood/filter diameter.

Bye.
Velocina

Tamron MF lenses
08-25-2011, 01:24 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Interesting that you have those metrics readily available. I wonder, not how accurate, but how pertinent they are. A coupl'a things occur to me in that regard.

----
I spend a fair percentage of my own PF time in Adaptall topics but doubt I've ever used the search function there.

(There might be an interesting poll in determining in which forums members use the search function.)

---

H2
I, for one, hardly ever use the search function in this forum. The topics (clubs, reviews/databases) are so well organized - and thanks for that!! - that I jump directly to the place where I am most likely to find the information I am looking for.

I would like to know, rather than how many search for "adaptall" then: How many unique visitors do the Adaptall Club and Adaptall review pages here in PF have on an average weekly basis?

It would indeed be useful to have an article clearly describing how to identify the various mounts and types - just take a quick look at the ads on e-Bay and notice how many Adaptall lenses and accessories are actually advertised (and priced?) as Adaptall-2.

And such an article would certainly be well placed her in PentaxForums. Thanks to Pentax' unique backward mount compatibility; in-body shake reduction; catch-in focus etc. etc. it is a very special pleasure to have and use these old lenses as a Pentaxian

Last edited by Stone G.; 08-25-2011 at 01:26 AM. Reason: missing word
08-25-2011, 02:04 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
- just take a quick look at the ads on e-Bay and notice how many Adaptall lenses and accessories are actually advertised (and priced?) as Adaptall-2.
Just to illustrate my point, this example can be found on e-Bay(UK):

I am not 100% sure about the exact model - but it surely is no Adaptall-2 !

08-25-2011, 05:24 AM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I would like to know, rather than how many search for "adaptall" then: How many unique visitors do the Adaptall Club and Adaptall review pages here in PF have on an average weekly basis?
0.33% of forum traffic, approximately. About 13,300 visitors.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-26-2011, 02:49 AM   #21

Mistake !

Just to illustrate my point, this example can be found on e-Bay(UK):

I am not 100% sure about the exact model - but it surely is no Adaptall-2 !
Ooops !
The same issue I've had when I bought my first 300 mm. Tamron lens, this one:

I've supposed to put an offer on an Adaptall-2 SP 300/5.6 model #54B, but this one is the older CT-300...

It's not bad at all, not good as the SP one at the short distances, so I've decided to not resell it and put the lens into my Canon A1 stuff, mounting the standard Adaptall-2 FD mount adapter.
The new adapter is a little hard to fit, but works correctly.
As you can see, the primary differences between an Adaptall-2 lens an older Tamron one like this are:

- (front lens retaining ring): on a new Adaptall-2 lens the "BBAR MC" engraving is painted in white, on older lenses in green;
- (built-in lens hood): brand name "TAMRON" on a new Adaptall-2 lens is printed in capital letters, on older lenses in italics;
- (lens barrel): on a new Adaptall-2 lens the distance indication numbering avoids generally the orange color, that is a lot used on older lenses;
- (lens barrel): on a new Adaptall-2 lens you can NEVER find the manual/auto cursor switch: it's reserved for the "Auto Tamron" lenses;
- (lens barrel): on a new Adaptall-2 lens you can find, usually near the mount, the lens model identification number: on older lens usually not;
- (lens barrel): on a new Adaptall-2 lens gummy grips are longitudinal grooved or diamond shaped, on older lenses looks like leather;
- (lens barrel): the black paint on new lenses is usually matt black, on older lenses enamel is not matt.

... and, obviously, older lenses are cheaper than new and SP ones !

Bye.

Velocina
09-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Adaptall resources

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So the one you added was an adaptall 1, not an adaptall 2? I have no clue about how adaptall works, so you'll have to walk me though it. Also, I think an article explaining it all might be helpful later on.

The world renown Adaptall reference addendum is awaiting an organized home.

H2

09-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Like I did with photolady and the software reference idea, would you like to maintain a page on the homepage with all the adaptall info there is to be known? This page would contain original information as well as links, where applicable.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
. . . would you like to maintain a page on the homepage
Well . . . maybe. I have no experience with that sort of thing. What's the "tool box" look like?

PM?

H2
09-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What tool box? You mean the interface?

Adam