Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Add New Lens + Review circus

I just attempted to add a Tamron Adaptall lens (CZ500) to the Adaptall lens review section and found it totally confusing. Ended up with a half-a$$ed 'add-a-new-one' and review combined with missing elements.

Tamron Adaptall 200-500mm f/6.9 (Z500/CZ-500) 200-500mm f/6.9

The format wasn't intuitive to say the least and the terminology doesn't jibe with the format. I tried to follow a "logical" path to build a CZ-era lens. The inability to edit or proof until the item was posted prevented learning as I went.

Please move from legacy to Adaptall section and edit as necessary. The picture for the 06A serves well and is essentially identical to the CZ500.

Edit: after posting the lens, I was able to clean up most of the confusion.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 08-20-2011 at 09:43 AM.
08-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I moved your review here as the lens was already in the DB: Tamron Adaptall-2 200-500mm F6.9 (06A) Lens Reviews - Zoom Lenses - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

AFAIK every adaptall lens is listed, let me know if there are any missing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I moved your review here as the lens was already in the DB:
Mmmm, maybe not. Although the three early 200-500's are very similar, there are differences.

One issue with grouping them is that those looking for the Z/CZ-versions of the early Adaptalls don't have an obvious path to search, especially when there's already a stand-alone entry for the CZ-735 at the top of the list implying that there's a separate category for each type. There's already enough confusion about the different Adaptall mounts vs. the lenses.

Since the category has already been established, why not continue with that scheme? Combining them doesn't seem practical because there are also some Adaptall's that don't have AD-2 equivalents.

I'd cast a vote for keeping it 'pure'. You've already made a great start on that.

H2
08-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

So the one you added was an adaptall 1, not an adaptall 2? I have no clue about how adaptall works, so you'll have to walk me though it. Also, I think an article explaining it all might be helpful later on.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter

So the one you added was an adaptall 1, not an adaptall 2? I have no clue about how adaptall works, so you'll have to walk me though it. Also, I think an article explaining it all might be helpful later on.
The Adaptall lenses are more akin to the Adaptamatics in optical design than they are the Ad2 and SP lenses. Even among the AD2/SP lumping the lenses could be problematic.
08-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry, you were doin' so well with the revised Adaptall category I assumed you had 'em wired.

IMO, there are six distinct and useful categories of the Adaptall lenses. There doesn't seem to be much interest in the earliest T-mount and F-class lenses or the Adaptamatics and those folks that are interested are generally knowledgeable enough to find their way around the web resources. At best, I'd recommend a catch-all Miscellaneous category for these three types. However, there isn't that much info available on these earlier lenses today and if some of the more knowledgeable members could be enlisted to build a solid data base I'm sure it would attract a lot of web-wide attention. I recall a comment (decision?) a while back to the effect that including these older lenses was desirable, but had very low priority relative to the rest of the revision effort and I think that was wise.

The three newer categories of lens are the Adaptall, Adaptall-2 and Adaptall-2 SP groups and these are common enough that they deserve separate listings since each group has some distinct lenses not easily grouped with the others. The AD-2 and AD-2 SP lenses are well established in the listings already -- essentially complete.

The original Adaptall (AD) series, which spanned the 1973-1979 era, was composed of lenses designated as CW, CT, Z, CZ, QZ AND SZ. Data on these can be found under the Red Button on the Adaptall-2.org site. There is one CZ lens listed in the general Adaptall review group now (CZ-735) plus the CZ-500 I attempted to enter today and I'd believe I've seen a few more "miss-filed" among the other AD-2 lenses too.

Useful sub-headers might be "AD", "AD-2" and "SP" with an opening header note describing the sub-divisions.

It could be helpful to get more input about this from some of the knowledgeable guys in the Adaptall Mount Club. I'll post a note there directing attention to this topic. And somewhere along the way it would be very helpful to link to an Article describing the various adapters -- I think that would fall more to a description than a review topic.

The PF Adaptall review section has become a very useful tool in conjunction with the Adaptall-2. org site and it's been a pleasure to watch it evolve and mature. It would surely be a "hit-magnet" for ALL brands of users if you could somehow arrange to "host" that resource under the PF banner. The originating author(s) seem to have lost interest in further development as they lost the .com URL a few years ago and haven't expanded the original topics as advertised.

H2
08-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Sorry, you were doin' so well with the revised Adaptall category I assumed you had 'em wired.

IMO, there are six distinct and useful categories of the Adaptall lenses. There doesn't seem to be much interest in the earliest T-mount and F-class lenses or the Adaptamatics and those folks that are interested are generally knowledgeable enough to find their way around the web resources. At best, I'd recommend a catch-all Miscellaneous category for these three types. However, there isn't that much info available on these earlier lenses today and if some of the more knowledgeable members could be enlisted to build a solid data base I'm sure it would attract a lot of web-wide attention. I recall a comment (decision?) a while back to the effect that including these older lenses was desirable, but had very low priority relative to the rest of the revision effort and I think that was wise.

The three newer categories of lens are the Adaptall, Adaptall-2 and Adaptall-2 SP groups and these are common enough that they deserve separate listings since each group has some distinct lenses not easily grouped with the others. The AD-2 and AD-2 SP lenses are well established in the listings already -- essentially complete.

The original Adaptall (AD) series, which spanned the 1973-1979 era, was composed of lenses designated as CW, CT, Z, CZ, QZ AND SZ. Data on these can be found under the Red Button on the Adaptall-2.org site. There is one CZ lens listed in the general Adaptall review group now (CZ-735) plus the CZ-500 I attempted to enter today and I'd believe I've seen a few more "miss-filed" among the other AD-2 lenses too.

Useful sub-headers might be "AD", "AD-2" and "SP" with an opening header note describing the sub-divisions.

It could be helpful to get more input about this from some of the knowledgeable guys in the Adaptall Mount Club. I'll post a note there directing attention to this topic. And somewhere along the way it would be very helpful to link to an Article describing the various adapters -- I think that would fall more to a description than a review topic.

The PF Adaptall review section has become a very useful tool in conjunction with the Adaptall-2. org site and it's been a pleasure to watch it evolve and mature. It would surely be a "hit-magnet" for ALL brands of users if you could somehow arrange to "host" that resource under the PF banner. The originating author(s) seem to have lost interest in further development as they lost the .com URL a few years ago and haven't expanded the original topics as advertised.

H2
I just want to point out that the adaptall2.org site is a rescued site by mflenses.com. Adaptall2.com was abandoned about 2 years ago!!! There have been no updates to that site in a long time. The site expired and mflenses then rescued it under the org domain.

It is also too bad people don't appreciate the last non-computer designed lenses . . . the adaptamatics. The 21mm and 105 adaptamatics kick ass and take names the latter of which ad2. org doesn't even have a pic of.

08-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I guess we should start with missing lenses, and then we can put up some articles/new categories as needed.

I should mention that we have a new homepage system which will soon make it very easy for members to post informative articles, so we'll be able to share a wealth of knowledge both inside and outside the forum!

Adam

08-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess we should start with missing lenses, and then we can put up some articles/new categories as needed.
Adam, if you'll provide me with an abbreviated, fill-in-the-blank form, or at least the exact format you want, I'll transcribe the basic data for the Adaptall and Adapt-a-matic lenses from the Tamron reference pages to the Review page format for you. I'd want to avoid just doing a copy-paste trick for obvious reasons but I see no reason both of us should have to re-type the same info.

I believe it's important to make the distinction between the PF user reviews and the OEM/Adaptall-2 site specification sheets and an embedded link to the Adaptall-2 site
would avoid any appearance of plagiarism -- especially if done with the blessing and cooperation of the AD-2.org site.

H2
08-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #10

A small contribute

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I believe it's important to make the distinction between the PF user reviews and the OEM/Adaptall-2 site specification sheets and an embedded link to the Adaptall-2 site
would avoid any appearance of plagiarism -- especially if done with the blessing and cooperation of the AD-2.org site.
Hi,
I'm not a Pentax user, but I own a lot of Adaptall-2 lenses.
Adaptall-2 Mount Club of this forum seems to be the best living resource at this time on the Web, so I read it everytime something new is posted. I usually don't post pictures because I've got no Pentax gear ( I use a Leica R8 plus a 10 Mpx Leica DMR digital back), but I think that the attached .pdf document may be useful to focousing Adaptall-2 lens production ( see below).
Googling on the net, one can reach the original link, so the sub-links inside the list become active, giving some extra information.
I think the list can be splitted into "fixed focal lens" and "zoom lens", both for the normal Adaptall-2 ones and the SP ones.
Please note that some "strange" lenses are listed, such as models #65A, #176A, #71A and #171A that seems to be between the last Adaptall-2 lenses produced and feels less heavy and more "plastic" than others. In addiction there is the #47A that is the ONLY AutoFocus lens in Adaptall-2 mount: all AF dispositive ( including batteries) are inside the lens, making every non-AF camera an AF one.
Actualize the older retail price (yen) may be an addictional idea and adding something about the matching lens hood and case ( rigid, L-series or pouch) for every lens may be useful.

Bye.

Velocina
Attached Images
File Type: pdf tamron-adaptall-2_lenses.pdf (89.6 KB, 1291 views)
08-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We should move your post either to a regular thread, or to the articles section, as this forum isn't visible to the public. Thanks for the info!

Adam

08-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Velocina

Thank you for your comments and the reference page link, Velocina.

Adaptall lens users are welcome everywhere.

H2
08-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think we should start an adaptall resource thread in the articles section

Adam

08-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
We just knew . . .

. . . you'd catch on eventually.

I'm curious if there's a way to audit the hit-count on the Adaptall items/key words that originate from non-PF subscribers. There's gotta be a lot of folks from other brands sneekin' peeks over the fence given the universal nature of the Adaptall lens mounts -- even if they don't want to admit they've dabbled in that no 'count Pentax site.

H2
08-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

0.2% of search traffic is for keywords containing adaptall - so unfortunately it looks like it's negligible (for now). However, the average guest spends 7 minutes reading adaptall-related content, which is actually pretty high compared to the average guest. This shows that the content is helpful

Adam