Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Form auto save/drafts!

I've now written and deployed a potentially life-saving feature: form auto-save. If you're on a modern browser and are using the modern skin, you post data will automatically be stored in case you accidentally close the tab, close the window, or navigate away from the page. Simply go back to where you were manually and the post you were working on will still be there! This works in the following areas: forum new thread, forum new reply, forum quick reply, reviews new review, pm quick reply, pm new pm, pm reply to pm, maketplace new listing. Note that the system keys the data by URL, so data from page 1 of a thread won't be visible on page 2. That's the only real catch, but without this, the system would cause a lot of confusion.

Try it- start typing a reply to this thread, go check your PM inbox, then open the thread again. Your message should still be there! (if it isn't then either your browser isn't supported, or your browser data has been cleared).

You can also use this system to save drafts of posts, although I don't recommend relying on it, as clearing your browser data will also clear the cached data. You can test this out by starting on a Marketplace listing and then coming back to it later.

Enjoy- I hope this saves some us some valuable posts, as well as time! If you find any bugs, please let me know (I hope you don't, as it took me several hours to get this working right in firefox and IE9 (only chrome cooperated).d

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So that's what that is I saw yesterday and today. I wondered why the reply box still had what I had typed previously.
09-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Genius, right?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yep, genius. I think it's a nice feature for those times when you're typing, and all of sudden your browser comes in with a message "Your browser has to close" and I usually get that message when using IE.

09-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Genius, right?
Yes, this is very helpful. it happened to me today, and while it was not a lon post I was immediately impressed by this feature. Thank you. there are time in past when I have NOT gone back...

Nice work.

woof!