Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
EXIF Stripped From Attachments

When I attach photos, the EXIF mysteriously disappears. It is intact in the file on my computer, but it is gone once attached.

09-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haven't considered that myself yet, but it shouldn't happen unless the attached files are compressed during the uploading. Is this happening Adam?
09-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup that's right Ash, it only gets stripped if you're not within filesize and resolution limits. For all the system cares you can even upload a 10Mb file to it straight from your camera, which it will then resize but in doing so the exif will disappear.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. The files were over 700KB.

09-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Which libraries are you guys using to compress large images? Imagemagick should preserve the EXIF if you're doing it right, so if you're still using GD you might want to look into that. In my experience, Imagemagick handles very large images better too, with less chance of a timeout or memory error.

Just an idea.
09-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I have tried both and unfortunately imagemagick was no better than GD, is there a configuration parameter to tell it to preserve exif?

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Imagemagick should preserve exif in jpegs as long as you don't use the -strip parameter when calling convert. I'll take a look around for anything more useful, but it would help to know a bit about what you're using now. Is it stock vB functions, a plugin, or something you guys wrote up yourselves? If it's a plugin or mod, a link to such would be helpful.

09-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes you are right, imagemagick doesn't seem to strip the exif.

I will try switching back to IM to see if it fixes the problem- however, I know I've tried it before and ran into issues. Also, it's possible that the vb attachment library does more funky things to the image that we might not expect.

Adam

09-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I hope you have some luck with that. IM has always worked better for me than GD, especially with large image files. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know? I'm no expert, but I work with scripts using these libraries on a daily basis so I have some familiarity.
09-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I was successful in switching to IM- let's see if it preserves exif in attachments now, as that would be very handy.

Adam

09-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice. If that stands up to use, it'll please a lot of people. Thanks.
09-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Has anyone been able to verify that exif is being preserved or that image quality is better? If not, I'm going to go back to GD.

Adam

09-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #13

I just posted a photo in the Festive topic. The limit is 700kb and the photo got compressed from 200kb to cca. 50k and the exif got stripped...
09-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Back to GD we go.

Adam