Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #1

fixing the Lens Sample Photo Archive

Hi Forum Mods,

Just saw the Lens Sample Photo Archive a few minutes ago and my first reaction is "it's a mess" and that i don't even want to continue browsing this archive anymore. Please don't get me wrong as i wanted to post pictures of all of my lenses here in order to help others help decide the character of a certain lens before buying... If I am not wrong, I was even the one or one of those who suggested such archive for this forum

Is there any way we can fix the archive like the Lens Database in order to easily find the lens samples?

Thanks for your help...

PS. Love what your doing with this forum, kudos to all of you (I mean everyone, including those people we don't normally acknowledge. Big or small things you've done for this forum, we all appreciate you...) THANK YOU Guys!!!

10-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The archive is designed to showcase individual lenses separately, so no doubt it will be a lot more disjointed than the Lens Clubs forum, by virtue of many lenses but not many contributors for each lens. In essence, the Lens Sample Archive is meant to complement the Lens Club, not really replace it. The lens review database serves a different purpose, more like a users feedback forum in words rather than photos.

Do give more specific reasons as to why you think the Sample Archive is a mess, and what you propose to help clean it up. In fact, as it was a job left by another forum member, we would be grateful if you assisted in 'cleaning' it up with us.
10-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you guys add tags to your threads, they will be searchable even if you just type a number- so be sure to do that!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
Is there any way we can fix the archive like the Lens Database in order to easily find the lens samples?
Would you like to help out directly with the section? We need someone to update the thread contents (add links to the lens database entries, fix the titles, add tags, etc)- I can give you access if you'd like to casually make these improvements from time to time

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hear what your saying Ash, but I too feel that it needs sorting out.

The thing is that there is no order, so for example if I wanted to check out photos of a certain lens I would have to read every title and possibly search multiple pages to find a lens Im looking for.

I think it should be categorised and/or divide each series of lens up into its own sub-forum.
10-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's why there's an index thread, but unfortunately, the person responsible for maintaining it isn't around at the moment. If you'd like to help out with it, I can also give you access.

Adam

10-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Guys for hearing me out...

@Ash
I think you misunderstood me. I agree that this really do complement Lens Database. What i meat was, same as TOUGEFC it needs sorting.

@Adam
That would be great! at least i can contribute something to this (my) Forum. You have no idea how this forum helped me in so many ways.

I'd love to do that, just show me how it (process) works and as long as there's no deadline

10-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree it's a bit of a mess and needs at the very least to be in some sort of order. Also the lens review for a lens should have a link to the sample pics thread for that lens.

I think the sample pics would actually be better as a gallery per lens on this forum, or as a flickr group for each lens.
10-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've now given you access to edit threads and posts in that section. To edit a post, click on the edit button beside it (as you would with your own posts).

To edit thread titles, you can just double-click on the title while browsing the forum, or you can click on moderation tools -> edit thread from inside the thread.

Here is an example of what should be found at the top of every thread: (lens thumbnail, centered - then a link to post a review - a link to view user reviews - a link to BH (if lens is in production) or the marketplace (if not) - a link to our in-depth review (if available)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/153142-pentax-d...mm-f2-8-a.html

Let me know if you run in to any issues!

Adam

10-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #10

Original Poster
Mods thank you for the access but I don't want to use it as yet until everything is sorted out as I still have issues. Now we are hearing others' opinions that it really is a mess right now (I am not here point out mistakes but am here to make our forum the best that it can be...)

@twitch
While looking at the lens database, i agree that we should a have a link to this archive. Why not incorporate this with the lens database?
In the Lens Database page, here's how it was arranged:

Lens Pics (actual pictures of the lens) --- Lenses (name) --- Rating --- Average Price --- Reviews --- Sample Photo

Is this possible?
By doing this we are certainly not replacing the Lens Database but incorporating the Sample Photos in order to make it a complete Database.
And with this, i think there'll be no need to sort the sample photo archive since we'll just create the link from the Lens Database.

Just my 2 cents...
10-06-2011, 12:15 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Later on I will look in to writing a nice image archive system that's integrated with the DB, for now the standalone threads are the best option

Adam

10-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #12

Original Poster
No rush Adam, i know everyone's busy but in the mean time i'll try to sort the photo archive one step at a time...

Thanks a lot
10-06-2011, 04:21 AM   #13
Pentaxian

May I add that it would be helpful if it is requested that all lenses are consitently given the same names / nomenclatures as in the lens database of this forum.

I.e. for pentax lenses:

SMC Pentax-K/M/A/FA etc. - Focal Length - Aperture Ratio(s) - Other(like "Macro")

It may not be doable for all brands, but at least for Takumar and SMC Pentax lenses?
10-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup we definitely need that to happen (for people to use the same titles as in our main database)- if you'd like to help I can give you access as well!
10-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup we definitely need that to happen (for people to use the same titles as in our main database)- if you'd like to help I can give you access as well!
OK, like everybody else I am a bit constrained upon time, but first let me try to set up a list of the current entries: "is now" - "should be"; then let's take it from there (in a week's time or so, I hope).