Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PentaxForums.com Mobile Homepage

I'm happy to announce the launch of a mobile version of our homepage. Just like the forum, you can now browse our news posts and in-depth reviews with ease from your mobile device!

Details here: Mobile Homepage Launched - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Suggestions are welcome! Note that we will soon be redesigning the PC version of the homepage as well, and some sections of the mobile site might not look the best until the redesign is complete. Enjoy! I've also added a link to the mobile mainsite to the mobile forum footer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Mobile PF

This was long awaited and will surely make those daily long commutes to work and back just a bit more tolerable!
Thank you PF

Arijit
10-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well done Adam!

It looks decent under BB os 5, but it has some alignment issues on the stock browser and opera mini.

By the way, when you first announced the mobile forum, back in 2009, I was an iPhone snob, and I wrote some snobby things about how the iPhone was better. Since then, I switched to Android, and recently to a Blackberry. I realize I was wrong, ad I apologise.
10-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The os5 browser is decent but the one they put in 6+ is tons better- if you can upgrade your phone to 6, I'd definitely consider it (I'm a bb fan myself).

In the mean time, if you could post a screenshot of what's wrong, I can try to fix it.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter

As a daily mobile user of PF.com I can appreciate the upgrade and have already run through most of it. Looks good and runs great on HTC Thunderbolt under Gingerbread and stock browser.

Big thanks for the implementation. I will enjoy it daily.
10-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
Forum Member

Honestly, on my iPhone I do prefer using the full version, and indeed I would greatly appreciate a similar "full version" link enabling the standard look on the forum either.

EDIT: My fault. I was not seeing the link because I was not logged in. Once logged the link is there.

Last edited by Paolo.Bosetti; 10-18-2011 at 02:06 AM.
10-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paolo.Bosetti Quote
Honestly, on my iPhone I do prefer using the full version, and indeed I would greatly appreciate a similar "full version" link enabling the standard look on the forum either.
Both skins have that link at the bottom

Adam

10-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How do I load the Application

I have a smart phone. How do I load the application? Do I just use Goggle on my phone and put in the URL? I have done that and get the normal forum page. Is there a specific mobile application? I have tried looking for a "help" topic to cover this but I found none.

Thanks for reading my post.
10-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
What kind of phone is it? Mobile browsers are auto detected, so if yours isn't, we have to add it to our list. I'll need your phone's user agent string.

Adam

10-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Hmm. I used to use the mobile layout on my iPhone, but I stopped using it when I got an iPad, since the setting is tied to the logged in user rather than the browser instance - and the mobile version just looks silly on the iPad.
10-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Hmm. I used to use the mobile layout on my iPhone, but I stopped using it when I got an iPad, since the setting is tied to the logged in user rather than the browser instance - and the mobile version just looks silly on the iPad.
Actually, as of about a month ago, it's cookie-based if you want to temporarily disabled it on a given device.

Adam

10-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The os5 browser is decent but the one they put in 6+ is tons better- if you can upgrade your phone to 6, I'd definitely consider it (I'm a bb fan myself).

In the mean time, if you could post a screenshot of what's wrong, I can try to fix it.
OS 6 isn't an option for my phone, a Curve 8530, which is unfortunately the only BB that my provider offers.

As far as the screenshots go, the first one is of the stock browser, which is actually aligned okay, but I need to adjust the font size on my end. The second one is from Opera Mini, which is probably the browser of choice for those of us stuck on OS5. It works perfectly well, it just looks a bit odd. I'm not sure if I would mess with it if I was in your position.
Attached Images

10-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Looks like the only difference is that the font sizes are cranked up in the second one - it's probably a setting somewhere. Opera should otherwise be pretty good at rendering things!

Adam

10-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #14

This looking really good on my Toshiba Thrive. I will be back more often. Great job.
10-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks like the only difference is that the font sizes are cranked up in the second one - it's probably a setting somewhere. Opera should otherwise be pretty good at rendering things!
I think you are right, but in reality the Opera version is much more readable. I tried changing the minimum font size setting for the Blackberry browser, but it had no effect.

Edit: I just checked, and the font setting for Opera Mini is set to "small". I wouldn't worry about it for the few BB OS5 users out there, but you might want to check with Opera users on other cell phones.

Last edited by Steve Beswick; 10-17-2011 at 10:01 PM.