Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Fighting room?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/1483-dp-reviews-k10d-6.html#post11901

What happens when a thread is closed? In the best of cases everything is fine. But more likely there are people taking part in the thread that aren't finished, that have more steam to let out. Why not let people be mad at each other and give them a chance to get over by it. When threads get closed they will have to start another thread to finish off. Very boring for most others...

This place might allready have too many sections to my personal taste. But at the same time I also appreciate the good things coming with this system. So: I suggest a fighting room.

The fighting room can be a section called just that, or whatever. This section should be the place where the normal rules don't apply. Let people let it out, but at that place only. Don't hold back friends, it's not good for you!
Then we can all be civil and nice all over the rest of the place, which will be good for all of us.

Moving a thread to the fighting room will of course lessen it's value. That might be a drawback. Maybe just close it and in the closing post there can be a link to the thread again, copied and open, but in the fighting room. Do you follow me?

imho,

12-20-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've dealt with many other forums before, and from experience I know that this isn't a bad idea, but it really depends on the situation. Still, though, we don't see conflicts very often- 1 locked thread in 10,000 posts isn't bad at all. Also, forums in general aren't a place for fighting or flaming. There are plenty of other ways out there with which you all can get such things over with.

Regardless, I'll consider adding this as a subforum if we see more....

For now, if you really find it necessary, create a "fighting" thread in the General Talk section, but be sure to keep all the ranting and flaming in there. I don't want these conflicts to affect any other users...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-20-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

What if all threads will end up in fighting rooms?

This is likely to happen. I only read it when I have a doldrum of boredom at work. But some people do have attention deficit ...
12-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not on my watch

Hopefully this will be the one and only time for a good while.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-20-2006, 05:50 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thinking again... I take it back. It shouldn't be necessary. If the statistics are that good as you mention Mo, then it's a premature and odd idea. Sorry. (And no, I have no need of a fighting thread, ftm. Should I feel the need I might try it.

James, you think it is likely that all threads should end up there? Are you nuts?

regards!
12-20-2006, 06:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Life is like a box of chocolate

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
Thinking again... I take it back. It shouldn't be necessary. If the statistics are that good as you mention Mo, then it's a premature and odd idea. Sorry. (And no, I have no need of a fighting thread, ftm. Should I feel the need I might try it.

James, you think it is likely that all threads should end up there? Are you nuts?

regards!
All my colleagues said that I had to be a nut; a bit manic in fact...

Jonas, I think a lot of threads will have people start the fire somewhere along the line in each post (likely half way onwards) then we got a plague killing off the threads.

My heart ached each time I see "fights" instead of "arguments".

I am not scared of people going away from pentax gear (hopefully I can get cheaper lenses and camera bodies on ebay!)

Life goes on ...
12-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Jonas,
I have known you since the old days on DPR and I never have seen one of your posts that should have been placed in a fight thread. And as Adam has stated he only had to lock up one thread in 10,000 posts. And to tell you the truth that only came to be because of a language barrier problem. Nothing more has ever come close to that. The quality of people we have here give opinions and accept others as well. And to tell you the truth even Rice and George have been really good here. I really don't see a need for this type of thread. I would say to all, back up and take a deep breath and then leave it drop. There is no sense in fighting here.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

12-20-2006, 07:20 PM   #8

Another thing that would keep a need for a "fighting forum" to a minimum...

Would be one simple thing:

*stop* responding to obvious posts designed especially for negative attention and "troll"seeking.

I just don't get it. We complain bitterly about these people, and their threads, and what it does to forums.. but when one comes up, it's the most posted in thread there is. People that otherwise complain the loudest *about* trolls, become the ones that respond to them the quickest, or most often, or loudest..

blows my mind really.

It's not the trolls/carpetbaggers/non-pentax users/etc.. that are wrecking/have wrecked the pentax forum at DPReview.. it's the people that *CAN'T STOP RESPONDING TO THEM*.

Easy targets fall the fastest.
12-20-2006, 11:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Personally I think that a chat room is better than a fighting room.
If there's 2 people with a beef against each other let them go in the chat room and work things out.
Not to mention that chat rooms are a good way to burn up some time when your bored. The more members participating the better.
12-21-2006, 02:15 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I sort of get the feeling that these comments are aimed at me.

I don't know if anyone else has been banned yet or if I'm likely to be the first one but hey if the honour is mine I accept my fate graciously graciously. It was not my intent to upset anyone.

I still like this site and will continue to be lurker.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year - look forward to seeing your pics.
12-21-2006, 04:09 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I didn't read the thread posted on the k10 review (for the most part I was fed up with all the k10 fighting on DPR ) And I see it has carried over to here (very sad). However I still see no need for a fight room. If people can't conduct them selves properly and have good discussions and debate it would be better to find another outlet for personal differences. I think if you can't conduct yourselves as ladies and gentlemen and share opinions (and that's what they are nothing is written in stone in any review all they are is opinions) I think it would be better not to engage in the topic in the first place if you know it will draw adverse attention. You all know Rice and George and as long as it is a free speech forum then like it or not (like them or not) it would be better to just ignore the post and state what you feel on the subject and not defend your position.

Enough said on this topic I don't feel we need a fight room the Staff (Admins and Mods) are here to make sure a fight room is not necessary. I would expect everyone to conduct them selves in a proper and intelligent manor. Don't let your temper get out of hand first step back and take a breath and think of what you are doing and saying before you post negative remarks about anyone. and then don't post them.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
12-21-2006, 06:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
I sort of get the feeling that these comments are aimed at me.
Relax - nobody mentioned you, but RH and QC. You rose to QC's bait a little, I don't think that's going to get you banned. And you weren't the only one squabbling. Don't fall back into lurking if you have something to say! It's easy to get sidetracked into a pointless arguement, everyone needs to remember that sometimes it's better to walk away, metaphorically speaking.

Jonas, it's an interesting idea but so far I don't think we need such a thing. I think folks are figuring out who it's fruitless to argue with!

Julie
12-23-2006, 05:38 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Jonas has already re-thought the idea and decided it wasn't a good one. Thanks, Jonah.

The fighting over at Phil's house was all a result of:
  • Delays in bringing the K10 to market
  • Phil's delay in reviewing both the K100 and K10
  • Phil's review summary and the perceived bias
The resultant fights were outrageous and ugly. I'd been lurking there, playing with the idea of buying a Pentax as my first DSLR and the eruption was discouraging to say the least. Trying to get useful information from among those threads was nearly impossible.

I suspect Mo is diligent and will insure it doesn't happen here. How to avoid it is beyond me but controls have to be in place to nip a barroom brawl in the bud.

(Hey! Don't get me wrong! I like a good barroom brawl as well as the next guy! Why? You wanna make something out of it?)

Dan