Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Different ratings in lens reviews

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding these, but it seems that in the lens review section, in some cases, is calculating two different ratings for some reviews.

As a case in point, the 18-55 WR kit lens (Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database) shows a "Calculated average" of 8.33, while it also shows an "Average User Rating" of 7.58. The latter is what is shown in the list of DA zooms. The 55-300, as another example, shows something similar, with simultaneous ratings of 8.85 & 8.43.

I havenŽt added up all the ratings to see which is correct, but can someone explain if IŽm missing something or if this is an error? I have taken a screenshot which IŽll upload if requested.

11-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Yeah, I've noticed that. The ratings on the front page (listing all the lenses in a category) are not the same ratings as when you click through to a particular lens...
11-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Calculated average = average based on user sub-scores
User average = average of user overall ratings

Do we see a bias here?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Calculated average = average based on user sub-scores
User average = average of user overall ratings

Do we see a bias here?
Is the overall rating not based on the sub-scores?

I think having two ratings is confusing. My feeling is that there should be only one, or failing that, a clearer explanation (on each review page) should be given to explain the difference.

11-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once we get more data points the plan is to switch over to the weighted system- but as of right now there are lots of lenses with only 1 or 2 such ratings.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: