Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2011, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Shopping Links are Terrible

The recent addition of Skimwords shopping links are terrible in my opinion. It makes it a pain to read posts, especially in the Marketplace and on a mobile device. I've thought they were legitimate links added by the OP in a Marketplace listing and I open the link when browsing on my phone. On a regular computer I can hover the cursor and see it's advertising spam, but I'd rather not have to deal with this when logged in to the Forums.

Maybe this type of thing is more appropriate for a viewer who is not logged in, but honestly (no offense) it's pretty tacky to see ads in most the threads now. My suggestion is to get rid of it please.

11-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, it's only a form of "punishment" for those who haven't (ahem) donated. I mean, it's already the 9th of the month and the monthly donation target is only at 93.75%!

Seriously, I hate them too. In fact, that and the other "micro-monetizing detritus" kept me away from the forum until I donated to be able to sell on the marketplace again. And I've been here since 2007 and have even tried to help Adam out with free giveaways!
11-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Members who have donated don't see the links. We've been investing a lot of money in the site lately, so unfortunately (at the moment) these links are necessary to keep things moving forward. I wish people did giveaways for us

At the moment, the indicated monthly donation goal is for monthly server expenses and nothing else. Maybe I should update that figure!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I wish people did giveaways for us
I don't work for that giant software company any more, so I don't get the swag to give away anymore...

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
At the moment, the indicated monthly donation goal is for monthly server expenses and nothing else. Maybe I should update that figure!
You probably should update, and maybe make it just a % and not a $ figure. I know in the past I've looked at it and thought "does it really cost that much for the server(s) to run this site?" And I rent and run servers for other websites!

11-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup we are on some higher-end hardware (pays off). What's adding the extra expense is our backup solution, which is on par with entry-level dedicated servers, unfortunately.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey Adam, this is your site so I'm not trying to drive from the back seat, but I'd be much more willing to donate, and I think many others would be too, if you just said "We've been investing a lot of money in the site lately, so at the moment... [we need more donations] to keep things moving forward." on the homepage and/or a notification at the top of the forum area. Instead, these links make me come to the site less and end up frustrating me when I do visit.

Making the site less user-friendly doesn't motivate me to donate. A friendly call for help does, and I'm not alone there.
11-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
A friendly call for help does, and I'm not alone there.
I'm sure it would, but those get old, also. As a sign of my good will, I've gone ahead and disabled skimwords for members again. I personally don't find it very obtrusive (unlike in-text advertising, for instance), but if others do, then fair enough. My philosophy is to always keep the forum free of any annoying ads for members.

One thing that really pisses me off is how ungrateful people have been following most of our giveaways- it's very discouraging. This holiday season we're doing our biggest giveaway contest to date; hopefully it won't be as much of a let-down!

Adam

11-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Adam. I've donated (it's not much, but hopefully it adds up) to say thanks.

It has surprised me too with the attitudes of some dealing with giveaways here. As a winner myself I was more than happy for the chance to win. Other times I haven't won and that's part of the contest and life in general. It's too bad some people ruin a situation for many. I wasn't born with tact (or so many have told me), so hopefully I didn't come across as a jerk, or ungrateful with my suggestion. I'm happy to be a member here and many of us appreciate all the work you and your team do behind the scene to keep this going.

11-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks for the kind words! Stay tuned for our next giveaway - I think you'll like it, and I hope that others will as well.

Adam