Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2012, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Political & Religious sub-forum

It should be automatically hidden from New Users. When they hit a certain milestone, say Senior Member, then they should have the option of turning it on.

01-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It should be automatically hidden from New Users. When they hit a certain milestone, say Senior Member, then they should have the option of turning it on.
Good suggestion! I especially like the idea that you have to activate your membership.
01-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Why? I think there should not be such a subforum on a photography site to begin with, but why new users?
01-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

That's not a bad idea. The reason is some people come to forums like this ONLY to harangue people about political topics, so this would guarantee that they at least make a token attempt to talk about photography some. It doesn't have to be *hidden*, but the option for posting could be turned off initially. Of course it does make you look and agree to the "rules" page for that forum, right? So that probably helps...

01-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
That's not a bad idea. The reason is some people come to forums like this ONLY to harangue people about political topics, so this would guarantee that they at least make a token attempt to talk about photography some. It doesn't have to be *hidden*, but the option for posting could be turned off initially. Of course it does make you look and agree to the "rules" page for that forum, right? So that probably helps...
I like this scheme better than completely hiding the P&R section (which might prevent discovering it).

P&R is kind of superfluous on a photo forum, but then again it being a sideshow of a photography forum has its merits as that might promote civil (and maybe even rational ) discussion unlike 'general topics' or P&R-specific forums (*). The latter kind might also be more or less oriented towards some viewpoints from the get-go or develop to a direction where like-minded people 'preach to the choir'. I suppose having discussions between those with differering viewpoints might be considered having intrinsic value: while it is unlikely to result in a kissy-huggy universal argeement, it might at least promote some sort of mutual understading in the spirit of 'agree to disagree' (or even 'live and let live' ).

(*) Assuming an element of appreciation and/or respect would seem to be more warranted, some of this pre-existing due to a similar interest.

Last edited by jolepp; 01-07-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo
01-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Back in the old days (1983) of 300-baud modems and dial-in BBSs (bulletin board systems) that could handle ONE user at a time, this is the approach we sysops (system operators) used. We had maybe 10 total sub-forums, but 2 or 3 of them were "elite" -- you had to become a regular contributor on the general open parts of the board without making a nuisance of yourself before you were allowed access to the elite forums -- kept out the riff-raff and discussions could take place without some silly noob flaming about something in all caps coming along and mucking things up. Of course every once in a while, all the regular users would get together IN-PERSON at a pizza place or something -- try that now!
01-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Of course every once in a while, all the regular users would get together IN-PERSON at a pizza place or something -- try that now!
Nest time I'm in Denver, I'll look you up....
01-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Nest time I'm in Denver, I'll look you up....
If you ever get to Pierre, please stop by.

02-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this is not the place in a photography forum. i m here for photography stuff, not political or religious stuff!!!
02-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have the P&R forum on your ignore list?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no can that be set up?:ugh:
02-25-2012, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nutkasse Quote
this is not the place in a photography forum. i m here for photography stuff, not political or religious stuff!!!
I agree with Nutkasse...

As a religious consecrated brother. I came here to explore and improve my love for photography, not for politics or religion, there are other place on the net to do that. As I have noticed, most of the (political are religious) stuff here is regurgitated from other sites and sources, leave over there and don't bring it here.....

I also second vonBaloney and not necessarily agree with boriscleto.... enough said...

added... I didn't think of that Adam, I'm not one for blocking anyone or anything, but it's a good idea, must check it out.
02-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

no can that be set up?:ugh:
Yes- read the sticky in P&R.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Then don't read the P&R forum. Do you complain to librarians when you see books on the shelf that you aren't interested in?
02-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdparker Quote
As a religious consecrated brother.
Perhaps some tolerance of others religious lives is in order, freedom of expression and all that bothersome stuff.

The mods here do a tremendous job. If it ain't broken don't fix it.