Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Small marketplace rule tweak

I think it would make finding items for sale in the marketplace much easier, if when items are sold from multi-item posts, people removed that item from their thread title.

For instance, someone is selling five lenses, and list all five in their title. Right now, most sellers will leave all five in the title even after they sell four of them. This wastes a lot of time reading essentially dead threads, just to look through the listing and find the items marked "sold".

I think it would be more efficient for the accepted practice to be to remove sold items from thread titles when they sell.

01-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are welcome to do that. I also suggest that people list as few items per thread as possible.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I think it would make finding items for sale in the marketplace much easier, if when items are sold from multi-item posts, people removed that item from their thread title.

For instance, someone is selling five lenses, and list all five in their title. Right now, most sellers will leave all five in the title even after they sell four of them. This wastes a lot of time reading essentially dead threads, just to look through the listing and find the items marked "sold".

I think it would be more efficient for the accepted practice to be to remove sold items from thread titles when they sell.
I agree. I've been doing that every since the changed the code such that the creator of the for-sale thread could modify their own thread titles. I certainly feel it helps people out quite a bit when browsing.

The only suggestion I would make is that when it's time to mark the ad as sold, go back and change the title back to the original title (or at least something that describes everything that was for sale), otherwise it becomes equally difficult to browse the "sold" threads later on.
01-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good point about the sold threads, Dan. Maybe a compromise would be some kind of short marker in the thread titles, instead of removing the item. Like "Lens 1(S), Lens 2, Lens 3(S)" where the second one is remaining. Maybe that's needlessly complicated, IDK. The (S) could be anything, so long as it's posted in the rules what marker to use.

Adam, I realize people are welcome to do that. I raised the point because many don't. They use the strength of their original title to try to get more attention to the last remaining, often less desirable item(s). We have a rule for marking whole threads as sold, so why not this, since multiple item posts are allowed.

01-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We can do a marketplace guide post or something like that- that would be a nice idea.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Good point about the sold threads, Dan. Maybe a compromise would be some kind of short marker in the thread titles, instead of removing the item. Like "Lens 1(S), Lens 2, Lens 3(S)" where the second one is remaining. Maybe that's needlessly complicated, IDK. The (S) could be anything, so long as it's posted in the rules what marker to use.

Adam, I realize people are welcome to do that. I raised the point because many don't. They use the strength of their original title to try to get more attention to the last remaining, often less desirable item(s). We have a rule for marking whole threads as sold, so why not this, since multiple item posts are allowed.
The most user-friendly method to accomplish your aims is to sell one item per thread. More work for the Seller; more useful for the browser.

I don't think Adam would require that, but a campaign to encourage Marketplace etiquette might work.