Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dark Skin Coming to PF!

I'm happy to announce that my designer is now underway on our next design project: a dark color scheme for the forums! The skin will look just like our modern skin, with hits of red, but the background will be dark and the font color will be light.

It should be up by the end of February!

BTW, designers aren't cheap- the skin itself is a pretty big project as all the graphics have to be re-done with non-transparent backgrounds. If you've been waiting for a dark skin, we'd appreciate a donation!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Do you think you could incorporate some sort of "theme switcher" to accomodate those of us who would prefer dark text on a light background? I find reading long passages of reversed text to be quite uncomfortable.
Light text on dark background vs. readability | 456 Berea Street
01-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
We already have that, scroll down
02-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Cool! I really like a dark background, and especially for images.

04-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #5

Any news on the dark format?
04-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yup, it's still being developed. Once it's deployed on our forum, I will host a brief suggestion period before the skin is finalized.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If I may ask, what is the reason everyone is all of a sudden in favor of, or changing to dark skins, is it just the current fashion/craze, or are there real benefits, like power saving on my laptop, or something else?

04-13-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
If I may ask, what is the reason everyone is all of a sudden in favor of, or changing to dark skins, is it just the current fashion/craze, or are there real benefits, like power saving on my laptop, or something else?
Many people, myself included, think photos looks better on dark backgrounds.
04-13-2012, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
That makes sense, like watching movies in a dark theatre or TV in dim light, but a large part of the forums are actually text and some people, like myself struggle to read the white on black, or grey on white. I wonder if anybody actually tried to determine what the majority of forum members want.
04-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
That makes sense, like watching movies in a dark theatre or TV in dim light, but a large part of the forums are actually text and some people, like myself struggle to read the white on black, or grey on white. I wonder if anybody actually tried to determine what the majority of forum members want.
Adam said it would be a 'skin', which usually implies that each forum member can choose which skin they want to use. (Similar to if you click the coloured circles and squares in the bottom left of this page, it only changes it for you).
04-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #11

.....and, with a wide screen monitor, white text on a dark background is easier on my eyes!

QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
04-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rottie*Lover Quote
.....and, with a wide screen monitor, white text on a dark background is easier on my eyes!
Ditto. One of the reasons I am loving finally having a book reader of some sort is being able to read books in the night mode where it's white text on black. As much as I read it makes it a heck of a lot easier on my eyes. I have an eye problem that can really make my eyes dry and blurry. I love coming here but there are days when it's actually painful if I stay here to read for too long. White backgrounds are way too much glare for me. I tried to adjust that in the browser, use my own settings, but it doesn't work well here with the buttons and such, not like an actual dark theme would.
04-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

mag, check this: Invert web page colors with the Darken bookmarklet
04-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RFF (http://www.rangefinderforum.com) has had a default dark scheme for years. It is gorgeous.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-14-2012 at 02:14 PM.
04-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Thanks, I saw your IM too.