Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #1

What if the item I bought in the marketplace is not as descrbed?

Hi
I just bought a lens that has been described in the marketplace as "the optics and mechanics themselves are flawless"
but eventually the first time I put it on I noticed that the manual focus does not work,
the barrel gear spins around endlessly without any result.
Is there a way to file a complain against the seller?
Even if the AF works perfect I do feel that he sould have mentioned the problem!
He might have not know about it, or claim he never tried it, but still a seller should not describe an item with flawless if he has not thorougly tested it!
thank for you help
Massimiliano

01-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried communicating with the seller directly and resolving the issue privately?
I would expect any member in good standing would want to make sure a buyer is satisfied with a purchase.
01-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Yes, before you go filing complaints give the seller a chance to make it right -- either you can return it or get a partial refund or whatever you agree on. Mistakes happen, things break, etc.
01-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by massi_72 Quote
Hi
I just bought a lens that has been described in the marketplace as "the optics and mechanics themselves are flawless"
but eventually the first time I put it on I noticed that the manual focus does not work,
the barrel gear spins around endlessly without any result.
Is there a way to file a complain against the seller?
Even if the AF works perfect I do feel that he sould have mentioned the problem!
He might have not know about it, or claim he never tried it, but still a seller should not describe an item with flawless if he has not thorougly tested it!
thank for you help
Massimiliano
Out of curiosity, which model lens is it? I only ask because I wonder if it's possible it's a lens with a clutch the requires the focus ring to be put in a different position in order to manually focus. I realize that's a long shot, but I figured I would ask.

Assuming that the lens is indeed broken/defective, then as the previous posters suggested, I would contact the seller and try to work it out with him (or her). The vast majority of the time, the seller will do what ever it takes (within reason) to make sure the buyer is happy. If you can't get resolution by dealing directly with the seller, you can probably file a case with PayPal (assuming that is how you paid for the item). But again, that would be a second option after trying to work it out with the seller.

01-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seller should take the item back and refund your money. *OR* you guys should agree on how much $$$ the seller should return to you.
01-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What lens was it? Some lenses have a focus ring that you have to "shift" to get manual or autofocus. I only mention it because you say that the autofocus works, but the manual focus spins endlessly, and that is a characteristic of what Tamron lenses do.
01-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #7

Original Poster
the lens is a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG DF Aspherical
and I honestly looked at it if there was something to "shift", did not see any, do you know anything about it?
and I have allready asked the seller hoping he knows about something like that.
And ofcourse I'l never fill any complain before speaking with him, and I'm confident I'll hear from him soon

01-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian

That lens does have a clutch -- I've heard complaints about the Sigma clutch mechanism. You have to turn a ring AND set a switch I believe. (I don't have one -- I'm not sure.)
01-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Sounds like you have to flip a switch and also pull the focus ring toward you, at least on some models.
01-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #10

Original Poster
Finally got replay from seller and i said the same
as I go home I'll look better and let everybody know... (what a fool I am)
thanks
01-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by massi_72 Quote
the lens is a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG DF Aspherical
and I honestly looked at it if there was something to "shift", did not see any, do you know anything about it?
and I have allready asked the seller hoping he knows about something like that.
And ofcourse I'l never fill any complain before speaking with him, and I'm confident I'll hear from him soon
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
That lens does have a clutch -- I've heard complaints about the Sigma clutch mechanism. You have to turn a ring AND set a switch I believe. (I don't have one -- I'm not sure.)
My advice is to describe the condition, then ASK the Seller if you are doing someting wrong. If there is a 2-step clutch the Seller should explain, and may even sympathise with you.

If the lens is operating as it should, but you bought it without full appreciation for this characteristic - and you are unsatisfied - ASK the Seller if you might be able to return it.

If the Seller is unwilling you're probably SOL - but if you ASK, the Seller might well be friendly (most of us are).

So far I have reversed two sales here, no questions asked. Both buyers have bought something from me after the reversed sales.

They ASKED me to take the item back because, though it was as it should have been, it wasn't what they expected. On any given day a good Seller reputation is far more valuable than a few dollars in the PayPal account.

Here's a line from a randoml;y-selected FS post - "Of course, if you purchase the lens and find that the lens isn't up to what you expected, you can send it back to me for a full refund, just pay shipping. I don't have any pictures of the lens unfortunately, but I am guaranteeing that I'm describing this lens to the best of my abilities!"

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Sounds like you have to flip a switch and also pull the focus ring toward you, at least on some models.
EDIT: I see that you and the Seller are talking - Excellent!

Last edited by monochrome; 01-26-2012 at 11:46 AM.